Problems with Recycle Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Schmo

Cadet
I just set up my first FreeNAS server and I'm having some trouble enabling the recycle bin.

I'm running FreeNAS 8 on a P4 machine w/ 3GB of RAM.
I have one volume, consisting of two 2TB drives mirrored (UFS), and one share enabled, which is the entire volume. The share is under the Windows share (SMB) and I have CIFS, NFS and AFP services enabled.

I am currently able to access the share from Linux, OSX, and Windows. I can create, move & copy files, but when I delete them, there is no recycle bin.

I will mainly be accessing the server from Linux so I would at least like to get the recycle bin working when files are deleted from a Linux machine accessing it. Right now when I delete something I get a warning saying:
"Cannot move file to trash, do you want to delete immediately?
The file "new file" cannot be moved to the trash."

When I delete a file from OSX, it just says the operation can not be undone and deletes it. I haven't tried from Windows yet but, I really just want to get it working in Linux first for now.

I have browsed the shared volume with hidden files enabled and I found a couple Apple folders that were either created by enabling an Apple share or when I deleted a file from OSX but the files I deleted are not in there.

I'm not trying to recover anything specific at the moment. I'm just testing this ahead of time so I know how to recover something in the future.

yonglonglai

Cadet
I'm having the same problem. Is there a solution for this?

yonglonglai

Cadet
Have you read the documentation about turning on the recycle bin?

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Windows_(CIFS)_Shares

I have read that, its only one button to push under the sharing
freenas - FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)-1.jpg

Is this something to do with my permissions?
freenas - FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825).jpg
I set everything to full permission and also show hidden files and can see that all the rubbish bin folders are there, but its not working.

Note: I've got a few datasets created in the main pool
freenas - FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)-2.jpg
data is for my general data stuff
media is for my videos/pictures/music etc.
jail is for the plugin server - i also have a mount point pointing between the media directory to jail/software/media
software is also for the plugin

any ideas?

yonglonglai

Cadet
protosd: I have no idea what happened in between me writing the above post and this one, but its working now. Maybe i'll try reboot to make sure everything is still working after.

ProtoSD

MVP
Glad to hear it's working, not sure what it might have been. It looks like you had everything correct. Lets just hope it keeps working ;)

hendra

Cadet
protosd: I have no idea what happened in between me writing the above post and this one, but its working now. Maybe i'll try reboot to make sure everything is still working after.
Can you share to me how to bring up recycle bin in windows.

Thank you..

Status
Not open for further replies.