OSX Finder copy to CIFS, file dates reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Nasty

Cadet
When I drag and drop copy files from Mac internal HDD to Freenas 9.3 CIFs networked share, the file dates of the files on Freenas share are all lost and reset to the time of the copy.

Windows 7 is able to copy files to the same share and correctly preserve the file dates.

How do I make CIFs share behave as if it is just another partition on my local internal HDD? I am not willing to use terminal or special software or shell commands each time I want to copy files to NAS. I need OSX Finder drag and drop to work as expected with no change to modified and created dates.

AFP is no longer an option with macOS Sierra.

Thanks in advance
-Dumb

nojohnny101

Wizard
I use CIFS shares with 9.10.2 and I just tested what you are describing.

When copying files, the "Created" date changes to the current time and date while the "Modified" time remains what it was on the original file.

Do both reset for you?

On my system, the creation date and modification dates of the original file are not changed when copying files from the Mac to FreeNAS, using drag and drop in the Finder. This is with macOS 10.12.2 and FreeNAS 9.10.2. I have the following VFS Objects enable in the advanced dialog of the SMB share: streams_xattr, air_pthread, catia and fruit.

Note: the data set I am sharing was originally shared using AFP. I switched to SMB many months later, as I discovered that the AFP performance was not nearly as good once the share had a lot of data. To strictly follow the docs, when I switched from AFP to SMB, I should have changed the Share Type to Windows in the Dataset Options dialog, but I left it to Share Type = Unix.

Last edited:

Free Nasty

Cadet
This set of VFS Objects worked.

aio_pthread
streams_xattr
netatalk
catia

Now my Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.1 finder can drag and drop files to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292332 CIFs share without losing created or modified dates. With default objects, Finder file copied files and folders got both dates set to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.