Problem Connecting to CIFS shares on OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

odinsride

Cadet
Hi all, I am brand new to FreeNAS and just got my server up and running last night. I have set up my Volume/Datasets and created some CIFS shares. My Windows PCs have no issues connecting to the shares. However, my Mac cannot access the shares for some reason.

When I go to the sidebar item "CIFS Shares on freenas", I see my shares listed, and it shows that I'm connected as Guest initially. If I try to open one of the public shares such as my Media share, I get the message "The operation can't be completed because the original item for "Media" can't be found." See the attached screenshot.

I have tried logging in as a registered user and accessing the shares and get the same message. I have also tried entering the share address manually in finder with CMD-K and entering it such as "cifs://ip-address/Media", yet I still get the same message.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2013-11-09 11.25.48.png
    Screenshot 2013-11-09 11.25.48.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 246

odinsride

Cadet
Figured it out myself finally - I had to turn on "Allow Guests" in my share settings. Odd that it worked in Windows without having this option set though...

hungarianhc

Patron
I'm having this issue too. I'm on FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64, and I'm having a tough time connecting to my CIFS shares. I'm having the same error that you are. I'm trying to connect with a guest account. For my share, both guest options are checked... Appreciate the help!

TheDubiousDubber

Contributor
Anyone have any answer for this issues? I'm on 9.2.1.7 and I keep getting this error. I've tried checking and unchecking 'allow guest access' and nothing works.

mjws00

Guru
You have a permission problem somewhere. In my dead simple insta set up (open permissions), tank is my pool with default unix permissions. There is one dataset 'Main' with windows permissions. I just used defaults. There is one share 'Main' with Apply default permissions checked and browsable to network clients. checked. All the guest stuff is unchecked basically we want a password prompt. Skip the hassle and hit the share as 'root'.

In Finder: Go | Connect to Server | smb://freenas

Unfortunately I have no idea what you may or may not have done with your existing pool and or how you set permissions up... so it is really tough to troubleshoot permission issues online. In addition there really aren't many knowledgable mac users, so there is a double whammy getting these things fixed. I'd be happy to help, but I just make it work and don't think about it again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.