Shares not showing up on Mac OS X since update to 9.2 RC

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jpaetzel

I am not able to verify this behavior. With a Mac and the setup I describe I am able to browse all of the shares and use them appropriately.

Ramboxman

Explorer
Noticed the change and was pulling my hair out! Just added my Shared Directory to the AFP which previously worked just for a time machine backups and whola, in finder on mac under shared I see my BackupDrive and my freeNASTimeMachine folders. Freenas is the shared AFP name, this works but I almost prefer the older way since I accidentally do not want to me with the freeNASTimeMachine folder. Seeing my nas listed as freenas is nicer than cifs shares from before. Thanks for the clearification... jpaetzel

Finder will not show CIFS shares if there are AFP shares. This is fallout from a change made in the avahi config to have one server with all of the services as opposed to multiple servers each with one service.

cheongi

Dabbler
For what it's worth, I have a similar problem with FreeNAS 8.3. Was working properly for ages for browsing and TimeMachine. Then I tried to get Mountain Lion client to connect - still authentication issues unresolved. No directory service, just peer to peer connnections. Mountain Lion not working yet. Snow Leopard which was working is now broken. Can presently "Connect to server" from Snow Leopard via afp://freenas.local or afp://<ipaddress>, but Bonjour access is broken even after a successful connection.

Haven't changed anything on the freenas box except some fiddling with UIDs and manual repair of user:group settings which get munched with UID clashes.

Bonjour Browser "can't resolve link-local name"......

cheongi

Dabbler
It may be that this is a bug fixed as per this ticket.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3625

So I went through all the AFP shares and checked the "No stat" box under "advanced" and it works again.

Also had some odd bug that a group name under AFP "allow list" appeared as a share name and connected to one of the AFP volumes. Planning to upgrade to 9.2.x, but have read that there is a problem with volumes not migrating, so will defer for now.

forfiter

Dabbler
I would like to report, that I've just ecountered the very same issue described in this thread while running on FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35). I've tried using 'No stat' option on my only AFP share (for Time Machine) and it doesnt change anything - as soon as I turn AFP service on, I am getting 'Connection error' while trying to browse the device's shares via Finder (that are CIFS based).
That's really an issue, because either I have shares, either Time Machine backups...

J-NAS

Dabbler
Finder will not show CIFS shares if there are AFP shares. This is fallout from a change made in the avahi config to have one server with all of the services as opposed to multiple servers each with one service.
@jpaetzel is this still the case in 9.2.1.8-RELEASE x64?

I had existing CIFS shares that my mac (yosemite) could access. As soon as I added an AFP share (separate dataset) I lost all the CIFS shares available on FreeNAS. When you say this is an issue with Finder, should I be able to connect to the CIFS via "connect to server"? I have tried all manner of connection--hostname, IP, username : password@hostname, etc. I even invoked the direct path it successfully used previously.

It never connects.

Meanwhile all my PCs still see the CIFS just fine. Is this now expected behaviour? Macs can no longer access both AFP and CIFS from FreeNAS?

fracai

Guru
You should still be able to connect ising "Connect to server". You can save the settings as a favorite, or create an afp:// style link on your desktop for quick access.

J-NAS

Dabbler
You should still be able to connect ising "Connect to server". You can save the settings as a favorite, or create an afp:// style link on your desktop for quick access.
OK, good to know it should function via connect to server. Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this? I had previously saved the working CIFS share as a favorite--it no longer connects...

fracai

Guru
Only options that come to mind are deleting the share and reconfiguring on client and server.

mjws00

Guru
There is a thread somewhere that basically says: Change the samba server name, to something other than freenas, and you will be able to browse the cifs and afs shares in the finder. I just use 'connect to server' with a couple favorites, so can't verify.

J-NAS

Dabbler
Thanks--as I was only using AFP for Time Machine backups, I decided to just forgo AFP entirely and place a sparsebundle on a CIFS share instead following these instructions. Seems to work fine with Yosemite 10.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.