MAC (AFP): Can't see/access CIFS shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolex

Dabbler
Hello all,

I've created some CIFS shares which I can acces without any problems from my windows computer.
Regarding the documents it should be possible to access these shares from a mac computer. I started the AFP service but don't see the shares on my mac computer (Mavericks). I can see my NAS (FreeNAS 9.2.0) but when I double click on it I see the message "Connection failed" in the top.
I allow guest acces and have set lowest user permission on these shares.

Is there anything else I have forgotten or did wrong?

Thanks for helping.

coolex

Dabbler
Hello,
I am sorry for asking that newbie question, but I would really appreciate your help.
On my Mac I can't see the shares I created (CIFS) and can access on windows although my Mac found my FreeNAS.

Thanks.

fracai

Guru
9.2 advertises all services from the same host. Previous versions started a separate advertising service for each share.

MacOS X won't show CIFS if there's an AFP share on the same host.

9.2.1 may be better here as it switched to a different broadcaster.

coolex

Dabbler
I tried to connect to the server (Go -> Connect to Server ...) with "afp://[IP OF FreeNAS]". A window appears to type in username and password. I choose "Connect as: Guest" but then receive the following error message: "There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. [...]". My settings for the AFP service is that I allow guest access. All CIFS shares allow guest access.

After this I tried the same (Go -> Connect to Server ...) but this time with: "cifs://[IP OF FreeNAS]" and it worked.

I still don't understand why I see the message "Connection Failed" when double-clicking on the FreeNAS-Server in the Finder in Network (Go-Network).

coolex

Dabbler
@fracai: Thanks for the hint.
I disabled the AFP service on my FreeNAS and now I can access all CIFS shares by simply doubleclicking on the server logo in the Finder!

fracai

Guru
Glad I could help.

Also, I think guest AFP isn't available in 9.2.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
9.2 advertises all services from the same host. Previous versions started a separate advertising service for each share.

could you elaborate on this? I have the same network set up as the OP, macs and windows units. I tried 9.2.1 and got a lot of issues. Is freenas getting away from AFP?

fracai

Guru
I don't know about FreeNAS, but Apple is getting away from AFP. The default share for OS X is now SMB.

Anyway, I don't have much to elaborate on. Previously, services were advertised by Avahi. Now they use mDNSResponder and the switch has been attributed with improving things for Macs. You could try searching the forum and tickets for either of those.

JKman

Explorer
i am on 9.2.1.4 and also have this problem.

real bummer as i have my media shares as cifs shares and want to back up to a timemachine share (which i believe needs to be afp).

looks like that bug status has been changed to closed but it most certainly should be re-opened.

joelmusicman

Patron
Just to clarify for folks: AFP and CIFS/SMB are totally separate protocols and CAN CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION if you try to share the same data for both!

Haven't heard about Apple going away from AFP as that is what current Time Machine automatic backup uses. Of course Macs are perfectly happy accessing the SMB protocol as well.

My setup: Win, Mac, and *nix XBMC clients all use the CIFS share, which houses ALL of my data with the exception of a directory that I have setup with AFP for Time Machine backup of my MBP.

joelmusicman

Patron

It's very easy to connect to SMB from Mac: On the finder menu at the top, find the "Connect to..." then type in SMB://<YOUR_FREENAS_IP>

JKman

Explorer
Joelmusicman, wut freenas version you on? Exact same setup as you, however connecting to either TM share or media share drops connection to the other one. I am forced to decide share types essentially. I am on 9.2.1.4

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Just to clarify for folks: AFP and CIFS/SMB are totally separate protocols and CAN CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION if you try to share the same data for both!

Haven't heard about Apple going away from AFP as that is what current Time Machine automatic backup uses. Of course Macs are perfectly happy accessing the SMB protocol as well.

My setup: Win, Mac, and *nix XBMC clients all use the CIFS share, which houses ALL of my data with the exception of a directory that I have setup with AFP for Time Machine backup of my MBP.
Can time machine still work if one shuts ago off and goes cifs only?

Can time machine still work if one shuts ago off and goes cifs only?
I think AFP is required for time machine in regards to another post i cant find atm.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, at least this thread isn't quite as old as the other one you necro'd--but your question here has less to do with the rest of the thread. As of OSX 10.10 Yosemite (and all prior versions), TimeMachine can only back up to AFP shares. I think I've heard somewhere that this might change in the future, but I don't recall where, nor how soon that was supposed to take place.

jsquaredz

Dabbler
Thanks for the info. Gotta love Google search. Brought the two threads right to the top even though they were years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.