SMB shares / Win 10 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladTepes

Patron
So I've been playing with (working out) shares.
I created some datasets, created shares,
managed to access the shares from the Windows computer. Created/deleted in the folder. all good.

I had a dataset called (IIRC) 'information'
I had a share called 'information'
I had a share called 'info Share'

Then I decided I wanted to use a different name for the dataset before going live with it. I knew this had to be done from the outset so I knew I had to destroy/delete the dataset and shares and start again.

So from the FreeNAS GUI i deleted the dataset and the shares. Or at least, that's what I told it to do.

The 'info share' and 'information' shares disappeared as expected.
But I have tried several times to destroy the (empty) 'information' dataset but it is still showing in the storage volumes menu in the FreeNAS GUI.

Question 1: How do I fix this anomaly in FreeNAS? (get rid of the information dataset)

Meanwhile, over on Windows 10 under network I am still seeing
'Info share'
'Information'
(and my media share which is fine)

Now I can go into 'Info Share' and create a new folder, which is then mirrored in 'Information', and vice versa.
I assume this is because both shares are (or at least were) pointing to the same 'information' dataset.
So even though the shares have been deleted in FreeNAS they still appear to be working in Windows !? Perplexing.

There doesn't appear to be any way from Windows to 'delete' these shares from the network. Certainly nothing in the right click menu anyway.

Question 2: What on earth is going on?

Question 3: How can I get rid of the share showing on my windows machine?

Heeeeelllppppp. Please.

m0nkey_

MVP
Have you tried restarting the SMB service in FreeNAS after you deleted the SMB share?

VladTepes

Patron
Thank you.

I hadn't no. But I have done so now.
That has led to a change.

The weirdness now is:
The shares are still shown in windows, but it will not allow me to access them. Gives and error "Windows cannot access \\REMUS\Information"
(screenshot attached).

You'll also note that while all the shares are shown in the left panel, only the 'live' (active, real) shares are shown in the right hand panel.
So at this point I think it's a Windows issue as to how I can make those shares (that don't really exist) disappear ?!

the freeNAS issue
And as for the fact that I can't get rid of the 'information' dataset in FreeNAS ?

Attachments

• SMB share issue.JPG
    SMB share issue.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 219

m0nkey_

MVP
Check out the SMB permissions video in my signature, it may (or may not) be helpful in this case. :)

toadman

Guru
I'm not that familiar with windows, but is there caching going on? If the SMB service at the server is turned off, and you reboot windows, does it still show the shares?

What exactly happens on freenas when you try and delete the dataset? I assume the order is (1) turn off SMB service, (2) ensure configured shares are deleted, (3) delete dataset? i.e. what error are you getting (if any)?

VladTepes

Patron
monkey - i'll have a look at that video tonight, ta.

toadman - Windows restart doesn't appear to make any difference.
Not getting any errors that's the weird thing, It just isn't doing it !

VladTepes

Patron
Update: Yeah I must be an idiot and forgotten to turn off SMB on FreeNAS before rebooting windows the last time around.

Have done this time, and situation appears to have resolved itself.

Thanks everyone for the assist. :)

m0nkey_

MVP
Update: Yeah I must be an idiot and forgotten to turn off SMB on FreeNAS before rebooting windows the last time around.

Have done this time, and situation appears to have resolved itself.

Thanks everyone for the assist. :)
Excellent sir. Glad we could be of assistance. :)

VladTepes

Patron
I'll add here for future reference if anyone else has this problem and the above doesn't solve it.

Microsoft says:
to disconnect a Mapped drive
  1. Right click on Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type " mountvol /r "
  3. Reboot your computer.
edit: I've tested this and it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.