Plugins & Permissions

urobe

Contributor
Hey there,

I have a very basic question.
I have freenas up and running with a windows share, and a second one as a backup. This works like a charm and I'm really thrilled by the setup.

Then I wanted to have a look at the plugins. Syncthing was from the beginning on my mind, but unfortunately I didn't manage to set it up properly and ended up using an existing windows computer to sync the remote devices to freenas. In the end I'm not unhappy with it, this way, freenas is less exposed to the internet.

I further read through the plugins and discovered Emby, which can work well together with Kodi, which I use.
I currently trying to get it to work...

My question now is, if I understand correctly, in order for either plugin to work properly, I have to make the plugin user the owner of the dataset. Is this correct? If yes, wouldn't this mean, I can only have one plugin properly running on my freenas (I only have one dataset)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Toby

Glorious1

Guru
Hi @urobe. I suggest you try to explain the situation a bit more clearly, and also give your full system build details. It sounds like you have two servers running FreeNAS, one backing up to the other? Is that by replication?

You mentioning syncing "the remote devices". What are they exactly? What exactly do you mean by syncing in this case?

I also use Kodi, but not on FreeNAS. FreeNAS serves the media files to Kodi, which is on a computer attached to TV. I just need to understand better what you are doing to offer any advice.