Plex Plugin vs Ubuntu Instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybena

Dabbler
Hi

Anyone have any preference of the Plex Plugin vs Standalone instance on a VM in FreeNas?

I see the plugin is behind in versions, but thats about it?

Can I access shares from FreeNas on a Ubuntu Plex Instance? (Im guessing you can)

Ill can try both but though a discussion would be good, unless one has already been started that I missed?

Look forward to your opinions.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have a always gone the plugin(jail) route because it is the most efficient in terms of resources. The trade off is that you lose some features (music matching through gracenote and automatic post-processing to remove commercials from recorded live tv shows among a few).

Those are worth it to be to have plex only use resources it needs and to basically be non-existent as far as resources are concerned when it is not.

Rybena

Dabbler
Ok that seems like a good reason. I suppose as I have lots of resources available and my Nas is not running all the time, if I put it in a VM and have it auto start, then I'd have the latest version.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Just to be clear, the FreeBSD version (plugin) still gets the latest updates, it just is missing some of the those features. Besides those (and others I might have forgotten, but those are the major ones I believe), the FreeBSD is on parity with all other versions.

Rybena

Dabbler
Just to be clear, the FreeBSD version (plugin) still gets the latest updates, it just is missing some of the those features. Besides those (and others I might have forgotten, but those are the major ones I believe), the FreeBSD is on parity with all other versions.
I didn't know that, thanks for that info, I'll probably just stick with the plug-in then.

Status
Not open for further replies.