Plex Pass Plugin 1.16.3.1402 > 1.16.5.1488 update breaks Plex

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Just tried 3 times to update the Plex Pass Plugin and it breaks plex. No errors during the update or plex jail starting via command line. Go to plex local IP and you get the spinning wheel then it connects for a split second then back to the spinning wheel. Looks like iX will need to resolve this before we can update unless others are not having issues updating. My Plex Plugin is not modified and is a fresh install from 1.16.3.1402 so I don't see how this could be just me having this issue.

Edit: Fresh install of the latest update seems to work fine. It is just updating that breaks it. Also, it is pretty funny to have an update that is less than 24 hours old install just for plex to tell you it is out of date. This new build was just released for FreeNAS and it is already 15 days old. lol

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Huh? What do you mean by "That kind of update isn't going to get you what you're looking for"? I am expecting an official plugin update to not break the plugin... Or are you being sarcastic?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're expecting to see plex telling you it's up to date after the update of the plugin... The plugins will always take days or sometimes weeks to get worked on and be available... plex sometimes updates plexpass versions multiple times in a week.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
What I was getting at is for iX to push a 15 day old build you would think they would have done some kind of testing to make sure it works. That is kind of the point to using plugins instead of a manual install.... One click and it just works.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What I was getting at is for iX to push a 15 day old build you would think they would have done some kind of testing to make sure it works.
iX has nothing to do with the software that runs in the jails, that's up to the software developers and the FreeBSD package maintainers. All iX does is assemble a script that automates the install steps for you.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
iX has nothing to do with the software that runs in the jails, that's up to the software developers and the FreeBSD package maintainers. All iX does is assemble a script that automates the install steps for you.
I never claimed they did any of that. I said they don't see if it works as in actually test if the update script they assembled breaks the plugin.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're missing the point. They have zero to do with whether or not software in a jail works or whether or not an update fails. Zero. The responsibility to fix it if it's broken is on the software developers. And when they do a new update will be rolled out.

Best we can do as users is to report it to others such as you've done here and file bug reports which you should also do.

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Then why have plugins in the first place if they are not going to do even the simplest checks to make sure they work. Not saying they should put in a massive effort just "this is fundamentally broken, maybe not push that update"... We do have beta plugins and those are getting vetted so why not updates? I mean we should be getting plugin updates a lot faster if all they are doing is slapping a new application download link in the script and sending them out the door.

All this aside, could still be just my plugin as nobody else has reported either way.

hervon

Patron
Ask for a refund from iX...

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Ask for a refund from iX...
FreeNAS Nightly > FreeNAS Beta > Stable FreeNAS Beta > TrueNAS

Regardless I avoided update scripts this time around to avoid issues like this... Funny it was literally the first update since I installed... So when I get home I am just going to set up a script and update like I used too.

drinking12many

Contributor
I am not sure what happened on mine but I installed the update and I lost all network connectivity to my plex jail. I then tried to reboot the jail and it wouldn't. I then rebooted the whole box after my box came back up both my Lagg interfaces were gone...rebooted 2 more times same thing...finally 4th time everything came up fine....who the hell knows....lol