Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Plex Media Server vs. Plex Media Server (PlexPass)

openpulse

Hi there, I'm setting up Plex on FreeNAS-11.2-U6 and found two plugin options:
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.52.35.png

- Plex Media Server / Version: 1.16.5.1554
- Plex Media Server (PlexPass) / Version: 1.16.6.1592

The latest manual states that the second option (PlexPass) is the premium version:
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.51.59.png

However, once installed both versions show the "Go Premium" to upgrade to PlexPass. The only difference seems to be that the second option is a higher version.

Am I missing something? If not, perhaps a single offering should be included to avoid confusion.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Have you purchased a Plex Pass from Plex? If not, then just install the standard version.

openpulse

Have you purchased a Plex Pass from Plex? If not, then just install the standard version.
Nope, I did not purchase a Plex Pass. However, I posted this because I did not see any discernible difference between the two (I installed both plugins with the exception of one being a higher version than the other).

That's why I'm wondering. If both are similar, I would stick to the "Premium" since it's a bit higher version than the other.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Nope, I did not purchase a Plex Pass. However, I posted this because I did not see any discernible difference between the two (I installed both plugins with the exception of one being a higher version than the other).

That's why I'm wondering. If both are similar, I would stick to the "Premium" since it's a bit higher version than the other.
You can't run the plexpass version unless you have purchased a plexpass from Plex. That's why I linked it in my previous post.

openpulse

You can't run the plexpass version unless you have purchased a plexpass from Plex. That's why I linked it in my previous post.
After running the Plex Pass plugin (and watching some content) I can confirm it works without having to purchase a Plex Pass.

Current installed plugin:
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 16.10.03.png

Plex server running:

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 16.11.15.png

It appears there's no difference, with the exception of one having a higher version than the other.