Plex Media Server Plugin - Up-to-date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeci

Cadet
Hello,

I'm finally upgrading my FreeNAS system to the point that I think it'll handle running Plex Media Server nicely.

Hardware is as follows:

Dual Xeon E5-2603's
Supermicro X9-Dia
Norco RM4220
32GB Kingston ECC Memory
6 x 2TB & 4 x 4TB WD RED's

My main concern or question is around how up-to-date the Plex Media Server plugin is with Plex releases?

Forgive me if my question isn't relevant, this is my first venture into the world of plugins!

All the Best,

Jeci

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
updates from the plugins>installed tab should work, I did some work a few releases ago to make this run smoother.
but there's also a script people use that can update the installed version.

Jeci

Cadet
updates from the plugins>installed tab should work, I did some work a few releases ago to make this run smoother.
but there's also a script people use that can update the installed version.

Thanks for the reply, not quite the question I was asking however.

I meant when Plex releases a new version of the Plex Media Server, how soon after does the Plugin get updated with the latest release? Or are the Plugins in sync with Plex's release cycle?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the reply, not quite the question I was asking however.

I meant when Plex releases a new version of the Plex Media Server, how soon after does the Plugin get updated with the latest release? Or are the Plugins in sync with Plex's release cycle?
as soon as someone notifies me there's a new version (I'm not a plex user) I try to build the updated release within a day or few, then plugin updates get pulled to the official repo within a day.

hertzsae

Contributor
as soon as someone notifies me there's a new version (I'm not a plex user) I try to build the updated release within a day or few, then plugin updates get pulled to the official repo within a day.
Apparently he gets notified fairly quickly, because it's always on latest when I check :)

Even though I'm a Plex Pass member, I don't run the Plex Pass version of the server. I enjoy that I can just update from the GUI Plugin screen. If you want to run the Plex Pass versions, you won't be able to update through the plugin screen. Instead you'll need to use a script that posted either on this forum or the Plex one. I believe it's fairly simple to get working, but I haven't had the motivation to investigate.

jsquaredz

Dabbler
FYI there is a new version of the Plex server available.
9.12.8.1362-4601e39
vs
0.9.12.4.1192 currently available as a plugin

engessa

Cadet
The current version of the plex server on Freenas doesn't work with the new iOS apps.. I understand that Plex wants to push new functions as fast as possible but this seems like an oversight..

Colly222

Dabbler
It's updated. Great work. Amazing timing as well as the IOS app update from last night only works with 0.9.12.5 or later.

Colly222

Dabbler
The current version of the plex server on Freenas doesn't work with the new iOS apps.. I understand that Plex wants to push new functions as fast as possible but this seems like an oversight..
See my comment. It's just been updated so now works. Plex doesn't support FreeNAS so unfortunately it's nothing to do with them (that's what they told me)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Plex does support freebsd so you can just grab the build from the Plex website and use that if you want. Quickest way to stay updated.

Colly222

Dabbler
Thanks. The updated plugin works great for me now so wanted to pass on that news. Regarding the PMS_Updater script I got an Authentication error when trying it.

Is there an updated version or something I am doing wrong?

theaddies

Contributor
I ran the PMS_Updater with my plexpass credentials and everything seemed to work fine. In putty the output from the plex jail says already running latest version v0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39 but the GUI says 0.9.12.4.1192. Why do the 2 disagree? I presume that if I update through the GUI that I cannot use the plexpass version. Thanks.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I ran the PMS_Updater with my plexpass credentials and everything seemed to work fine. In putty the output from the plex jail says already running latest version v0.9.12.8.1362-4601e39 but the GUI says 0.9.12.4.1192. Why do the 2 disagree? I presume that if I update through the GUI that I cannot use the plexpass version. Thanks.
The FreeNAS GUI only knows about updates through the PBI method, so that's the version it will have registered.

jsquaredz

Dabbler
I notice that there seems to be another new Plex version available. Maybe some bug fixes, since the last was a major change release.

Screenshot%202015-08-22%2009.13.44.png

Randall_64

Dabbler
https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

Aug 17, 2015

Fixes
  • Fixes for low-powered NAS devices to assist new iOS app Direct Play compatible files.
  • Only report media deletability for owners.
  • Fix Mobile Sync syncing the wrong/first streams instead of using language preferences.
  • (API) The new excludeFields option was flattening photo libraries.

Plex Pass Only

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
as it's plex pass only, I'm guessing the freenas port shouldn't be updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.