Where is the path to the Plex Media Server Plugin folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goshen

Dabbler
I am trying to add new subtitle plugins to my Plex media Server on FreeNAS, I created a Windows CFIS share to the Plex plugin on my Mac, but I can't locate where the plugin folder is so I can upload the Subtitle plugin.

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
plugin bundle location - /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/"Plex MediaServer"/Plug-ins/
?

found that in a google search. I made my own jail with plexpass, so my location is in /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
I am trying to add new subtitle plugins to my Plex media Server on FreeNAS, I created a Windows CFIS share to the Plex plugin on my Mac, but I can't locate where the plugin folder is so I can upload the Subtitle plugin.

Thanks

Are you trying to install the plug in on the FreeNAS box? IF so, I think this is what you want:
/mnt/(name of ZFS volume where jails are located)/jails/plexmediaserver_1/.plugins

That '.' means that it is invisible.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
plugin bundle location - /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/"Plex MediaServer"/Plug-ins/
?

found that in a google search. I made my own jail with plexpass, so my location is in /usr/local/plexdata-plexpass
are you sure plexdata isn't in /var/db/plexdata. I moved it a few plugin versions ago, but if you're on an older version of the plugin thus wouldn't have been updated.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
are you sure plexdata isn't in /var/db/plexdata. I moved it a few plugin versions ago, but if you're on an older version of the plugin thus wouldn't have been updated.
No I'm not sure. I don't use the plugin for Plex. I did a regular jail and installed plexpass media server. I had come across an old post that had that location in it. Thanks for clarifying.

goshen

Dabbler
I was able to find this "invisible" folder but the folder is unwritable even when I attempted to use terminal to sudo copy the subtitle plugin file into it.

Does anyone know other means to add additional subtitle plugins to the Plex media Server from the FreeNAS Jail? The default opensubtitle plugin does not work for me as my movies do not automatically come with subtitles unless I go through the manual process of finding srts, downloading them, and uploading to the volume on my mac. With the Plex on my local mac, I am able top add 3rd party subtitle plugins which automatically find the necessary open subtitle files for me without any manual work.

Thanks for any help

Are you trying to install the plug in on the FreeNAS box? IF so, I think this is what you want:
/mnt/(name of ZFS volume where jails are located)/jails/plexmediaserver_1/.plugins

That '.' means that it is invisible.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I was able to find this "invisible" folder but the folder is unwritable even when I attempted to use terminal to sudo copy the subtitle plugin file into it.

Does anyone know other means to add additional subtitle plugins to the Plex media Server from the FreeNAS Jail? The default opensubtitle plugin does not work for me as my movies do not automatically come with subtitles unless I go through the manual process of finding srts, downloading them, and uploading to the volume on my mac. With the Plex on my local mac, I am able top add 3rd party subtitle plugins which automatically find the necessary open subtitle files for me without any manual work.

Thanks for any help
the person you quoted wasnt giving you the correct folder. see my earlier comment

goshen

Dabbler
Thanks...I found it and was able to upload the subtitle plugin after changing the Plex user to one of the users I created. When it was at root owner, it was not writable. I have since updated the owner back to the root.

I just updated to the latest FreeNAS Train (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE (Installed OS)). Now I am no longer able to connect to PLEX from the jail. Browser not able to connect to the server at specified IP which was working perfectly well prior to the update tonight. Looks like it is from one fire to another.

I noticed that the Plex plugin status is set to OFF, that could be thereupon why it is unreachable via the web. Unfortunately, I tried several times to toggle the status to ON but it will not toggle...stays at OFF. I changed all the jail permission to 777 in Storage > jails, still will not toggle to the ON position.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you changed the permissions of the jail? never do that, these are operating system and application files that need specific permissions.
you'll need to reinstall a new instance of plex, if you want to restore your previous setup backup and restore the /var/db/plexdata folder.

don't ever change the permissions of the jail, that'll break it beyond repair. what I would personally do is do your file operations as root on the command line, then recursively chown the plexdata folder back to the plex user.

tigs

Cadet
Thanks...I found it and was able to upload the subtitle plugin after changing the Plex user to one of the users I created. When it was at root owner, it was not writable. I have since updated the owner back to the root.

I just updated to the latest FreeNAS Train (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE (Installed OS)). Now I am no longer able to connect to PLEX from the jail. Browser not able to connect to the server at specified IP which was working perfectly well prior to the update tonight. Looks like it is from one fire to another.

I noticed that the Plex plugin status is set to OFF, that could be thereupon why it is unreachable via the web. Unfortunately, I tried several times to toggle the status to ON but it will not toggle...stays at OFF. I changed all the jail permission to 777 in Storage > jails, still will not toggle to the ON position.
Hi there,

can you tell me where the folder for plugin is? I would like to add "letmewatchthis bundle"

thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi there,

can you tell me where the folder for plugin is? I would like to add "letmewatchthis bundle"

thanks
/var/db/plexdata

tigs

Cadet

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 554

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
i have no idea, i don't use plex personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.