Plex media server, Freenas,ATTUVerse 2wire 3801HGV modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAspirer

Dabbler
Hello every one,

I am new to freenas and plextv. I heard about this and found to be very exciting to watch the content I have at home via internet through plextv.

I have built a custom built freenas, and have media on the freenas, installed plextv plugin to watch the content.

I was able to watch the content on the local network by iphone, ipad and other laptop.

I wasn't able to watch the content remotely using plexmedia server.

I have internet connect thru ATT, and I have ATT uverse, with that I got bundled ATTU verse 2wire 3801 hgv modem.

I tried port forwarding on Att uverse modem port 32400 it did not work.

I am wondering any one in this group can guide me to get watch plexmedia server on the freenas machine with att uverse modem remotely.

I just bought a AirPort Extreme 2012 model as well.

This will be very helpful for me.

Thanks

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
just as a double check, you port forwarded TCP to the plex jail IP?

MacAspirer

Dabbler
Yes. When I was doing that there were two IP addresses. One was for freenas and other one was for specifically the plex media plugin, I tried with putting plex media plugin jail through the port. It did not work. It worked on just my Mac remote access, but not on freenas.
My question has anybody did do freenas plex media server with freenas.

I appreciate this. Thank you

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have lots of people connecting to my FreeNAS library outside of my network.

Please explain your port forward that you tried to do. It sounds like you arent doing something correctly. Also, when you log into the web gui for your server, in the settings, you can change the default port to whatever port you desire. It doesn't HAVE to be 32400. In that same screen, it will tell you if your port forward is working or not.

j_r0dd

Contributor
I had some difficulty getting the outside world to connect to plex myself, no matter what port I tried and had open on my router. Opening ports to freenas itself worked without a hitch every time. The whole time I was troubleshooting I never rebooted the jail. That's what made it work for me. Forward port in router > set port in plex (it will error) > reboot jail. Works every time. I even verified with a standard jail and manually installing the plex pass version. Not sure if that is expected behavior with forwarding ports to a jail.

You might also have double natting going on if the airport is also connected.

Last edited:

MacAspirer

Dabbler
Thank you very much for the prompt reply, i dismantled my freenas now, because I was experiementing earlier and trying to see whether i will have remote access of plex from freenas.
When I assemble again, i post screen shots to help me out to get my freenas getting online - thru plex media server - remote access.

Thanks

Francis Reader

Dabbler
I have the same gateway, but want the precise control of my network. so have used both a tomato based router and now built a pfsense router.

the easiest way is to buy a cheapo wifi/router than is dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato router and use the DMZ function that the 2-wire and ATT support. (Never thought I would be praising ATT ;-)

Then just support NAT-PMP (UPnP has too many security risks.) and let plex manage its ports/

MacAspirer

Dabbler
If you don't mind, could forum members suggest cheap router for me. I would like to use cheap router for gateway and ports but I still like to use my AirPort Extreme for wifi access.

Please guide me through.
Thanks

MacAspirer

Dabbler
I am not sure whether did place is the right forum to ask or not
I am planning to buy this router TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button. I would like to do dd-wrt firm ware on this router, I would like directly connect to my attuverse 3801 hgv modem-router and then from there I would like to connect tp-link router with ddwrt firm ware to apple airport extreme.
My question is it possible to have remote access with plexmedia server on my freenas? I would also consider owncloud plugin as well.
Please guide me through.
Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you understand your network layout, and understand basic networking, there is ZERO problem with forwarding a port.

Paul Ferrell

Dabbler
I have the same problem with my Att gateway modem 2 wire motorola NGV510. I set up an Asus RT-AC68U behind it with a 16 port switch and I cant get anything back thru it. ( It works fine to get internet in to my 8 or so appliances ) Is the DMZ function something that will help me get thru the ATT -U-Verse nightmare Gateway that I am forced to use?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Don't use DMZ for something it shouldn't be used for you will just have more problems. I think you might have a double Nat issue with your multiple routers that you need to figure out.

MacAspirer

Dabbler
I got tplink wireless router I did put dd wrt on the router. I disconnected the AirPort Extreme and put it in the shelf. If I use too many routers I might get into problem.
So I try with plexmedia server with ddwrt. Can anybody suggest which ports need to use? If there any guide for plex media server available that I can use.
Thanks guys

j_r0dd

Contributor

MacAspirer

Dabbler
guys, I need your serious help.
1. i set up ddwrt on my router, which is tplink.
2.i have installed freenas, installed plexmediaserver plug in
3.it is working on the local network.

Let me just explain the connections.
ATTU verse modem out-port 1 connected to in-port 1 of the tplink
first outward port of the tplink connected to the freenasbox.

I have ip address of the freenas machine, and also ip address on the plexmediaserver jail. ( i understand that both are different)

My next issue is connecting to the remote server.

I tried going on the ddwrt router and went to port range forwarding and put the port setting and ip setting as in the picture 1

On the web interface of the plexmediaserver when i try to connect by manual port forwarding the picture i get is picture 2.

Can anyone suggest me what i am doing wrong.

would like to get remote access so that i can access the media remotely.

All the help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 3.36.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 3.36.19 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 3.37.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 3.37.59 PM.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 277

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
you didn't forward any ports to anything. You need to modify the port forwarding in dd-wrt not the port range forwarding. So configure it like this:

Nat/QoS -> port forwarding ->
Application: plex
Protocol: both
source net:
port from: 30000
ip address: 192.168.1.2
port to: 32400
enabled: checked

Last edited:

MacAspirer

Dabbler
I have made the changes and did portforwarding. then i got the following please see the pictures.
Thanks for helping me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 4.26.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 4.26.06 PM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 4.28.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 4.28.04 PM.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 251

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
make your port to setting 32400

Status