Can't add files to Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Explorer
I have follow directions to get Freenas working from
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-permissions-set-up-example-for-dummies.8894/
then the directions from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DnUWTliaOY
FreeNAS® 9.2.1: Plex Media Server Plugin
I am able to write files and create directories in my datasets and have copied a mp4 video to the Movies directory that I created. The instruction from FreeNAS® 9.2.1: Plex Media Server Plugin say on the plex site to add a section but I never get that screen so I am unable to add my media to their site. I get the message "
The library has no content yet. Click here to add content to the library." When I click here it brings up a window "Edit Library" and gives options to add folder but not to add media. Please help. Thanks

BigB

Explorer
No I haven't. I'm starting to understand the situation more. The plex interface is on my Freenas not a Plex website. I re tried to create a directory in windows explorer and I got a permission error so I'm thinking that's why Plex isn't recognizing my media. (probably made changes incorrectly to get it working) If my owner is root and group is wheel does that mean I login to the network in windows explorer with my root PW that I use to login to Freenas? Should the other settings be Unix, Recursive and all 9 boxes checked but the center one (group write)? Will plex just read whatever is in the directory when I get the permissions correct?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
No I haven't. I'm starting to understand the situation more. The plex interface is on my Freenas not a Plex website. I re tried to create a directory in windows explorer and I got a permission error so I'm thinking that's why Plex isn't recognizing my media. (probably made changes incorrectly to get it working) If my owner is root and group is wheel does that mean I login to the network in windows explorer with my root PW that I use to login to Freenas? Should the other settings be Unix, Recursive and all 9 boxes checked but the center one (group write)? Will plex just read whatever is in the directory when I get the permissions correct?
If you're running Plex on FreeNAS(in plugin), there is nothing you need to do in windows for it.

Steps are:
Add plugin
Add storage to plugin (point it to your media on FreeNAS)
Point it to the directory you set up in the second step.
Done.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You also need to make it so the plex user in the jail has read access to the files. Easiest way to do this is to give read permissions to other users on those files.

adrianwi

Guru
When I click here it brings up a window "Edit Library" and gives options to add folder but not to add media. Please help. Thanks

This might just be semantics, but you don't 'add media' into the Plex library, but instead 'add the folder(s)' which contains all your media so Plex and search and catalogue.

BigB

Explorer
All my media is currently on my Windows machine so I was planning on dragging the media to the directory that is on my Freenas.
You also need to make it so the plex user in the jail has read access to the files. Easiest way to do this is to give read permissions to other users on those files.
I'm not sure how to do this. My Jail has one entry
plexmediaserver_1
Edit
Storage
/media
Add Storage

Click on plugins/PlexMediaServer
Click here to access Plex Media Server
Upper left plexmediaserver shows Channels Playlists and movies
After Clicking on Movies you get the message "The Library has no content yet. Click here to add content to library
Click Browse for media folder
Click on icon below home plex that looks like a disk drive with a / next to it.
That brings up a list of folders-bin,boot,dev,etc,lib, libexe, media, mnt, proc, rescue, root, sbin, tmp, usr,var
Click on Media brings up the 2 directories I had added on my windows machine Movies and Music.
I've added /media, /media/Movies and /media/Music to the list of "Add folders to your library and clicked save changes
I then get the same message "the library has no content yet...."

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Use the JAILS tab. That's where you add storage. Please read the documentation to understand how it works.

BigB

Explorer
I have already added storage to my jail
Source:/mnt/v1/yourmedia
Destination: /media
I'm not sure how to determine who the plex users is so I can change the permissions.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I have already added storage to my jail
Source:/mnt/v1/yourmedia
Destination: /media
I'm not sure how to determine who the plex users is so I can change the permissions.
Plex, by default runs as the user 'plex' in the jail. UID 972

BigB

Explorer
For some reason my plexserver if off in the plugins section and I can't turn it back on after a reboot.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Log messages or error messages? Have you messed with permissions?

BigB

Explorer
I've adjusted so many thinks, I must have changed a permission. How do I get log messages or errors to post here from freenas? When I click to turn on the plexmedia server I get the message at the top "some error occured"

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've adjusted so many thinks, I must have changed a permission. How do I get log messages or errors to post here from freenas? When I click to turn on the plexmedia server I get the message at the top "some error occured"
You can try this from the plex jail
Code:
service plexmediaserver onestart

Never change the ownership/permissions of your jail/plugin dataset. This will break the jail operating system and youll need to re-set them up.
Only ever change the ownership/permissions of datasets you mount into the jail.

BigB

Explorer
Nothing seem to get the plexmedia server working so I restored to factory defaults. Created my volume v1 and added datasets media and jails. I changed to permissions for dataset media to include all the other checkmarks and set recursively. Set the Jails configuration to the jails dataset. Created a CIFS share called broadcast pointing to the media dataset and allowed guest access. Enabled the service. Went to plugins tab and clicked Plex Media Server and installed. At this point it stops in the middle of installing and gives an error occurred.

BigB

Explorer
WebGUI IPv4 Address: I changed it to the ip address of the freenas as it said 0.0.0.0 and protocol to Http+https and Plexmedia server installed. I don't think I changed anything else and now it works. I clicked the refresh icon on the plex server and it added my media from the directory. Thanks for all the help. Is there a way to have a directory on the plex that can only be read on a particular DLNA device (TV or DVD Player) not all the devices in the house?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
WebGUI IPv4 Address: I changed it to the ip address of the freenas as it said 0.0.0.0 and protocol to Http+https and Plexmedia server installed. I don't think I changed anything else and now it works. I clicked the refresh icon on the plex server and it added my media from the directory. Thanks for all the help. Is there a way to have a directory on the plex that can only be read on a particular DLNA device (TV or DVD Player) not all the devices in the house?
I don't think so that would be plex/dlna setting. I suggest just turning off dlna, it doesn't work very well and was designed before we had smart Tv and things that can run applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.