Plex IP address confusion

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
After upgrading from FreeNAS to TrueNAS, I followed SpaceRex's excellent Install Plex on TrueNAS tutorial. But I ran into these problems with the IP addresses:
  1. In my router I reserved 192.168.1.195 for the Plex Media Server (PMS).
  2. @ 13.17 the tutorial show how to get the IP address of the PMS: Jails > plex Jail > IPv4. In my case, this is 172.16.0.2/30.
  3. I try to modify this with Jails > plex Jail > Stop; Jails > plex Jail > Edit. But the IPv4 settings are grayed out and cannot be modified. I don't know how these settings got there, but they're wrong. The settings that seem most relevant are set as follows:
    • DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4: unchecked
    • NAT: checked
    • VNET: checked
    • Berkeley Packet Filter: unchecked
    • vnet_default_interface: auto
    • IPv4 interface: vnet0
    • IPv4 address: 172.16.0.2
    • IPv4 netmask: 30
    • IPv4 default router: 172.16.0.1
  4. @ 14:00 the tutorial shows how to get the IP address of the admin portal: Plugins > plex > Admin portals. In my case this is http://192.168.1.191:32400/web
  5. The tutorial says to use this IP address to connect to the PMS. But when I do this, I get an error message: "This site can't be reached. 192.168.1.191 refused to connect."
I'm pretty certain the settings in #3 above are a large part of the problem. But how can I change them?

And looking at the other settings, do I need to do anything else?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
  • DHCP Autoconfigure IPv4: unchecked
  • NAT: checked
  • VNET: checked
  • Berkeley Packet Filter: unchecked
That's all wrong...

If you want the jail to have its own IP stack (and a different address from the host):

DHCP: Checked
NAT: Unchecked (you will get the other settings back when you uncheck this one)
VNET: Checked
Berkeley Packet Filter: Checked (Mandatory for DHCP to work).

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Thanks. I tried changing the Jail's setting to have everything checked except NAT. This seems OK, but I'm still unable to change the IP addresses in the vnet_default_interface section.

Any ideas about how to accomplish this?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
"Everything" includes DHCP. You know what DHCP does, right?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol ordinarily assigns IP addresses from a pool of available ones. But my router (a Linksys WRT3200 ACM) has a "Connectivity" dialog with a "DHCP Reservations" button. Inside the resulting window several IP addresses are reserved for my NAS, including 192.168.1.195 for the Plex Media Server, as mentioned earlier. I believe my problem has something to do with my inability to assign this IP address within TrueNAS.

Since I'm not even close to running a DNS yet, I have to use numeric IP addresses. Hence, the static DHCP address is necessary, if for no other reason than it's the only reliable way to reach the PMS.

This more-or-less exhausts my knowledge of DHCP.

And yes, the DHCP checkbox is checked.

danb35

Hall of Famer
And yes, the DHCP checkbox is checked.
So why do you think you'll be able to set an IP address on the TrueNAS side? You cannot simultaneously tell a computer (or a virtual computer) "get your configuration via DHCP" and "use this IP/subnet/gateway." Those are mutually exclusive.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
This is exactly why I left the box unchecked (see my original post), until Sretalla said, "If you want the jail to have its own IP stack (and a different address from the host) ... DHCP: Checked ...."

What I want is for the jail to have its own IP stack, an address different from the host, AND this address should be fixed as 192.168.1.195.

I just don't know how to achieve this, but IIRC I had this working previously, before the upgrade to TrueNAS.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I just don't know how to achieve this,
Two ways; either will work:
  • Disable DHCP for the jail, set it to the IP/netmask/gateway as appropriate to your network
  • Set up a IP reservation in your router (which it sounds like you've already done), based on the MAC address for the jail. In this case, enable DHCP for the jail