No access to media in jail with PLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfasauer

Dabbler
I installed PLEX plugin on freenas 9.10. Installation worked fine. It set up a Jail automatically. I added storage to the Jail. PLEX Server is working, but it has no access to media. The storage added to the Jail doesn't appear there. I hope, you understand what I mean...

It might be a configuration problem in Jails.

IPv4 Network: 192.168.178.0/24
IPv4 Network Start Address: 192.168.178.1
IPv4 Network End Address: 192.168.178.254

Plex Jail has 192.168.178.2

My Router has 192.168.178.1

I guess, I missed a lot of information needed for solving my problem, but I don't know, which information is missing. So please ask, I will add informations.

Any suggestions how to solve my problem?

Thanks a lot!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think you've entered poor values for the network start and end addresses--those are the start and end of the IP range that FreeNAS will allocate for jails. What's the IP of your FreeNAS box?

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, then yes, your configuration is incorrect, but there isn't an IP conflict between your jail and your FreeNAS server. I'd suggest changing your configuration to a range of 10-20 IP addresses that are outside of the range provided by your DHCP server. But, be that as it may, it's not the reason that your Plex jail isn't seeing your media.

Can you post a screen shot of your storage configuration for this jail?

bfasauer

Dabbler
Not on the picture:
- autostart: YES
- VIMAGE: YES
- NAT: NO

Attachments

• jail.png
    jail.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
And you don't want your jails to have access to internet either apparently? You have no gateway configured.

But.

What @danb35 was asking is that you provide a screenshot of your storage you added to the jail...

icsy7867

Contributor
I typically leave all my Jails as DHCP and then I will reserve them IP addresses using my router (And their mac addresses). This has worked out great for me and has simplified the setup.

what happens when you go into your freenas webgui and you go to:
Jails -> View Jails -> Storage (Tab) -> Add Storage (Button)

And set your video/picture/music storage folder as a mnt point in your plexmediaserver jail? (Lets call it /media), Do you get an error at the top of your screen? Or does it say successfully added?

Also how are you verifying that it isnt showing up in the jail? Or you using
Code:
jls
sudo jexec (jail number) tcsh
cd /media (or wherever you put your storage)
ls

and it is not listed?

Can you open
http://192.168.178.2:32400/web in a web browser?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes.

Now inside the Plex jail, what happens when you 'ls /media'?

Does it show your media?

Does /mnt/volume1/media contain other datasets? If you have datasets under the media dataset, you will have to share each one separately.

bfasauer

Dabbler
what happens when you go into your freenas webgui and you go to:
Jails -> View Jails -> Storage (Tab) -> Add Storage (Button)
And set your video/picture/music storage folder as a mnt point in your plexmediaserver jail? (Lets call it /media), Do you get an error at the top of your screen? Or does it say successfully added?
This works fine. No error. It does not say anything, but there is a new row, with columns "Jails: plexmediaserver_1, Source: /mnt/volume1/media, Destination: /media, Mounted? true, Read-Only: false"

Also how are you verifying that it isnt showing up in the jail? Or you using
Code:
jls
sudo jexec (jail number) tcsh
cd /media (or wherever you put your storage)
ls

and it is not listed?
I try to access "Plex Media Server", that shows up in "network adresses" of Windows explorer. I also tried to add Media in Plex Web Interface, which finds the server, but not the media folders.
Freenas doesn't allow me to execute the code, you wrote down. It says: "Sorry, user root is not allowed to execute '/usr/sbin/jexec 16 tcsh' as root on freenas.192.168.178.1."

Can you open
http://192.168.178.2:32400/web in a web browser?
Yes. This opens Plex Web Interface.

bfasauer

Dabbler
Yes.
Now inside the Plex jail, what happens when you 'ls /media'?
Does it show your media?
Yes, it does!

Does /mnt/volume1/media contain other datasets? If you have datasets under the media dataset, you will have to share each one separately.
I think, that's the point! I added parent directories. Adding a subdirectory with media seems to work!
Thank you all!

But still, I should correct my jail settings. What does "IPv4 Network" mean? In my case, it is set to "192.168.178.0/24". Can this be correct? Freenas has "192.168.178.203" and Routers IP is "192.168.178.1".

"Start adress" and "End Adress" should be set to a range outside DHCP range of the router, correct?

ICANSEEYOU7687

Dabbler
This works fine. No error. It does not say anything, but there is a new row, with columns "Jails: plexmediaserver_1, Source: /mnt/volume1/media, Destination: /media, Mounted? true, Read-Only: false"

I try to access "Plex Media Server", that shows up in "network adresses" of Windows explorer. I also tried to add Media in Plex Web Interface, which finds the server, but not the media folders.
Freenas doesn't allow me to execute the code, you wrote down. It says: "Sorry, user root is not allowed to execute '/usr/sbin/jexec 16 tcsh' as root on freenas.192.168.178.1."

Yes. This opens Plex Web Interface.

If you can access the Plex Media Server via the URL listed then your network should be fine.
Are you already logged into using "root"? If you are then no "Sudo" is needed in your command. "Sudo" simply allows a non root (Or "Admin") account to run specific commands as root.
If you see something like:
[root@freenas ~]#
Then you are root. (Notice the '#' sign)

But if you see something like:
username@freenas: %
Then you are a non-root account (Notice the '%' sign)
So if you see a '#' you do not need the Sudo command.

Secondly, when you log into the plex website using the URL above
Make sure you are on the "Home" Screen (Click the House on the top left corner to be sure)

Hover over "Libraries" on the left column and click the "+" Sign. You should see a page like this
addlibrary_general_1.png

Obviously click the corresponding type of media you are wanting to add, Give it a name and hit next.

Then click "Browse for Media Folders"
addlibrary_addfolders_blank.png

This is where you need to make sure you are selecting the folder that you mounted. The next page should look similar to this:
06_plexui-add-folder.png

You should be able to find your "Media" folder in this list! After you add it, plex should go off and spend a few minutes (Could be longer depending on the amount of data) grabbing all of the meta data.
Have you already done this successfully? When you try to play the items does it give you an error? Or does it simply not show up after selecting the correct folder?

Also about your questions on IP addresses...
IPV4 is just the 4th version of the IP (Internet Protocol). This means that you have four octets of numbers to indicate a specific network location. 192.186.0.45 is IPv4, so is 231.7.12.113. The numbers range from 0-255.

The /24 is part of some different terminology. Typical you have three main components when assigning an IP address
The actual IP Address
The gateway (Typically your home router) IP address
And your subnet mask.

192.168.178.0/24 is simply a "Class C" subnet, which is also equivalent to 255.255.255.0
There is some math that happens, but all you really need to know is that the subnet mask simply determines how many IP addresses are allowable/assignable in a given range. And a Class C (or 255.255.255.0) allows 255 addresses.
(Take a look at http://www.subnet-calculator.com/ to play around with some numbers)

SO...192.168.178.0/24 typically means that:
You can assign 192.168.178.1 - 192.168.178.255 as IP addresses

danb35

Hall of Famer
What does "IPv4 Network" mean? In my case, it is set to "192.168.178.0/24". Can this be correct? Freenas has "192.168.178.203" and Routers IP is "192.168.178.1".
That is correct.
"Start adress" and "End Adress" should be set to a range outside DHCP range of the router, correct?
Also correct. Those addresses define a range that FreeNAS will assign to jails when it creates them. As I said above, I'd suggest choosing a range of 10-20 addresses.

jeff hughes

Cadet
Hello,
Having upgraded to 9.10, I can access the freenas web gui and the web gui of the plex plugin media on my pc. But, cannot access the media via the pc. Not showing in network or 'this pc'.

jeff hughes

Cadet
Do these files help?

Before upgrading to 9.10, I was able to access the plex media folders on the pc, and map them.

Attachments

• 2016-05-03 13_42_47-Capture.png
    2016-05-03 13_42_47-Capture.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 2016-05-03 13_42_19-Capture.png
    2016-05-03 13_42_19-Capture.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 2016-05-03 13_43_23-Capture.png
    2016-05-03 13_43_23-Capture.png
    35 KB · Views: 288
  • 2016-05-03 13_44_00-Capture.png
    2016-05-03 13_44_00-Capture.png
    56 KB · Views: 320

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Your media should not be IN Plex. It should be in datasets on your pool.

I have no idea what you're referring to with these images. NetBIOS discovery is perpetually broken in Windows....

Status
Not open for further replies.