Plex and Tranmission Setup without Anonymous Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericv

Explorer
Hello everyone. I am new to FreeNAS. I have read a bunch of threads on this topic here and else where and still can't seem to solve my problem. I appreciate the help. My question is is there a way to get plugins like Plex and Transmission to work without giving anonymous access?

I have a volume called "Storage". On that volume there is a dataset called "Media".

/mnt/Storage/Media

I have my movies in a folder called "Movies".

/mnt/Storage/Media/Movies

I have another volume called "Apps". On that volume there is a dataset called "jails".

/mnt/Apps/jails

This is where I have jails configured to live.

I have created storage for the plex plugin mapping

/mnt/Storage/Media/Movies

to

/media (with the option to create the folder on)

When I do an "ls -lrt" on the Movies (mnt/Storage/Media/Movies) folder, each file has the following permissions.

-rwxrwxr-x

When I do an "ls -lrt" o the Media folder (/mnt/Storage/Media) I show the following permissions for the "Movies" folder:

drwxrwxr-x

When I go into Plex to add a Movies library, it shows nothing in the /media folder.

This works fine and Plex can see my data. That said, I'd rather not give anonymous access to my Movies. Is there also a way to get this working without doing anonymous access?

ericv

Explorer
So I've been paying a bit more attention to detail and found this page.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_jails.html#add-storage

Under section 13.2.1.2 I'd like to do this...

"If multiple applications or jails are to have access to the same data, you will need to create a separate group and add each needed user account to that group."

I've done this, but still cannot access the content within plex, however if I assign the user/group in FreeNAS to plex it works fine. This won't work for me as I need both plex and transmission to access this data.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is the gid of the directory and files you want to add? Once you know that just make a group in the jail that has the same gid and as that group to the Plex user in the jail.

1. In freenas shell do a ls -ln /mnt/Storage/media/movies
2. now use the gid number for those files in the command below, the <group name> in the command below can be anything but you might want to make it match the name in freenas.

Here is an example of how to create the group in the jail:
pw group add -n <group name> -g <gid> -M plex

Last edited:

ericv

Explorer
What is the gid of the directory and files you want to add? Once you know that just make a group in the jail that has the same gid and as that group to the Plex user in the jail.

1. In freenas shell do a ls -ln /mnt/Storage/media/movies
2. now use the gid number for those files in the command below, the <group name> in the command below can be anything but you might want to make it match the name in freenas.

Here is an example of how to create the group in the jail:
pw group add -n <group name> -g <gid> -M plex

I appreciate the response. That is what I just figured out, except I used....

pw groupmod -n <groupname> -g <gid> -m plex

looks like both would work.

ericv

Explorer
In an attempt to help anyone new like me, I've outlined my steps in a bit more detail. Experts, feel free to comment where you could make this more efficient.

1 - Create a group that will have access to your media on FreeNas (you can use the FreeNAS WebUI). Mine is called “media” with a GID of 1006.

2 - Assign the group to the dataset and you can remove the all of the “other” permissions.

3 - Entering Plex Jail Shell using this command: jexec 1 tcsh

//1 denotes the jails instance. I am not sure how to tell it is 1, except for that fact it was the first jail I created.

4 - Find the id of the plex user
4a - more /etc/passwd
4b - keep scrolling until you see the user plex, you will see something like this "plex:*:972:972”, 972 is the group in my case.

5 - Create the same media group within the plex jail
5a - pw groupadd -n media -g 1006

6 - Add the plex user to the media group within the plex jail
6a - pw groupmod -g 1006 -m plex

7 - Exit the plex jail by typing “exit"

8 - Using the FreeNAS WebUI, create a plex user, give the user the same UID as it had in the plex jail (972).

9 - Add the plex user you just created to the media group in the FreeNAS WebUI.

10 - Stop and restart your plex plug using the FreeNAS WebUI.

You can follow the exact steps for transmission and other plugins that you want to have access to your media.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is it a lower case m or upper case M in the pw command? I know with 'pw group add' it's a upper case M, make sure you double check otherwise it's not going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.