Help with Plex and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreccy

Dabbler
plex movies.JPG
plex tv.JPG
jail dest folders.JPG

They will not mount though as you can see, i took a screenshot of that error if you need that.

danb35

Hall of Famer
OK, you're almost there. However, your destination in your jail is in the /media/ directory, but you're telling Plex that your stuff is in /Media/. Unix is case-sensitive, so these aren't the same thing. Change the folders in Plex to /media/movies and /media/tv and you should be good to go.

dreccy

Dabbler
Ok i changed the source to include the mnt/ part of the path and it mounted this time. Then changd the case in plex and it seems to all be working fine. Thank you very much for your help.

Going back to the volume part is that correct or not? witht he Media then under that two data sets. Obvioulsy it works so thats all good but its just very different to my old NAS solution.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Ok i changed the source to include the mnt/ part of the path and it mounted this time.
Oops, I missed that on your screen shot. Yes, the source should be /mnt/Media/Movies, not just /Media/Movies.
Going back to the volume part is that correct or not? witht he Media then under that two data sets.
I don't think it's something that could be correct or incorrect--it's a perfectly valid way to set up your storage, but there are plenty of other perfectly valid ways to set it up as well. As I noted above, for example, I have a single Video dataset, with subdirectories under it for movies and TV shows. I don't know that my way is better or worse than your way; it's just different.

dreccy

Dabbler
To be honest I would rather have it your way as its neater but I honestly have no idea how to create subdirectories under a dataset. If I highlight Media for example (which is what I did and how I ended up with Movies and TV SHows under it) the only option it gives me is to create a dataset, not a subdirectory.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You don't create subdirectories through the web GUI (it's not a file manager); you'd use a connected client computer. Open up the share in Windows, right click, create new folder. Just like on any other drive.

dreccy

Dabbler
Ohh i see! So it is manageable through my Windows computer. So in effect I could go into //freenas/Media and create a folder in there called Entertainment for arguments sake and then two subs in there called Movies and TV Series and they would show up in Freenas and then change Freenas paths accordingly?

dreccy

Dabbler
Okay it looks like it wasn't quite sorted. Everything is accessible and my library's were updated but I have just put more movies in and for some reason none of the TV shows will play and none of the movies will either. Its different in what it does though.

When I try to play a TV show it just has a loading circle going round and round and when I try and load a movie it just says "Please check that the file exists and the necessary drive is mounted."

Any ideas?

dreccy

Dabbler
That made no difference sorry. Interestingly the 26 movies that i put in the folder have not appeared but the original ones all still show...just wont play.

dreccy

Dabbler
OK i rebuilt it and got rid of the two data sets and just used the one called media...created a share called Entertainment and then put two folders movies and TV under that, linked it all up and its all working nicely. Thanks for everyone's help.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.