Help with Plex and FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreccy

Dabbler
Hi there,

Im at the end of my tether. Cannot figure out what I am doing wrong so wondered if someone could help.

Basically I have two folders which im using windows to populate with media. A movies folder and a tv series folder

I have created the media dataset and the tv series dataset
All the permissions are set
I have added the SMB share so i can transfer my movies across
Plex is set up
I have created the jail called plexmediaserver_1 and it has two lots of storage under that jail header. One for Movies and one for TV Series.
This is where it goes pear shaped. If I have the movies added, plex can see it fine, then as soon as I add the TV Series you can see TV Series but not Movies anymore. And Vice Versa if you do it the other way round. This is driving me nuts, can someone please help

Thanks
James

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Why not just mount one dataset for all of your media and put it in 2 different directories on that dataset labeled TV and Movies.

dreccy

Dabbler
Cos I didn't know you could do that. I thiught you needed a different dataset for each type of thing you wanted. How do you put two directories beneath the one dataset then?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How do you put two directories beneath the one dataset then?
How do you create a directory in a share? You do it like that.

dreccy

Dabbler
What, right click and 'create new folder'?

Don't think there is an option for that....

Besides that's not solving my original issue.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
FreeNAS version and hardware specs required for all forum posts.

Can you give us a screen shot of the storage settings for the jail?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

dreccy

Dabbler
Hiya SweetAndLow,

Sure thing.

Specs are:
Build FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)

Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz

Memory 16227MB

And a screenshot of my settings (included the main volume page as well just in case).

Could it be the storage and that I have two named the same, though thats the only option it gives me when I go to create new storage under that jail. Very confused first time user. Volumes.JPG Jails.JPG Jail Storage.JPG
Volumes.JPG
Jails.JPG
Jail Storage.JPG

As a side note, everyone seems to be using 9.10 of Freenas. Should I be downgrading?

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Could it be the storage and that I have two named the same, though thats the only option it gives me when I go to create new storage under that jail.
Yes, that's your problem. /media in the jail is the only option it gives you because that's the only directory that exists there, but you can (and should) specify individual directories for each dataset. Try putting movies in /media/movies and TV in /media/tv and you should be fine.
What, right click and 'create new folder'?
Don't think there is an option for that....
Of course there is, at least if your user has appropriate permissions (and if you have permissions to copy data there, you should have permissions to create directories).
Besides that's not solving my original issue.
But it would, actually. I have a dataset for video, with subdirectories (not datasets, just subdirectories) for movies and TV. The video dataset is mounted to my Plex jail. When that happens, all its subdirectories are available to the Plex jail as well. If you had done it this way, you wouldn't be having the problems you're seeing. But that isn't to say you should change it now; there's nothing wrong with your current storage configuration. You just need to fix the mount points as described above.
As a side note, everyone seems to be using 9.10 of Freenas. Should I be downgrading?
Lots of us just haven't made the time to upgrade yet. FN11 seems to be pretty stable, with the few reported problems being boot issues (which you don't seem to be having). I don't see that there's any reason for you to downgrade.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm waiting for 11.1 before I upgrade for a specific reason or I would have updated by now. Don't assume something is wrong just because some people haven't updated.

dreccy

Dabbler
Yes, that's your problem. /media in the jail is the only option it gives you because that's the only directory that exists there, but you can (and should) specify individual directories for each dataset. Try putting movies in /media/movies and TV in /media/tv and you should be fine.

Sorry im lost, are you saying I need to create a new Jail and how do I create the new directories, you mean from windows?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
They explained it pretty good already but I'll try again. In your current jail set the destination to two different paths. You set them to the same so them over wrote each other when you added the second storage.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sorry im lost
Clearly. No, you don't need to create a new jail. No, you don't need to do anything from windows. You need to fix your storage configuration, because right now it's trying to mount two datasets to the same place in your jail (which shouldn't be allowed at all, and the fact that the GUI let you set it up this way in the first place is probably a bug), resulting in the jail only being able to see one of them.

On the storage screen (last screen shot you posted), double-click on the entry for Movies, and change the destination to /media/movies. Then double-click on the entry for TV Shows, and change the destination to /media/tv. Then go back into the Plex configuration, and create a library for movies at /media/movies, and one for TV shows at /media/tv.

dreccy

Dabbler
Ok i have just changed the storage to what you said and there is nothing showing up in Plex now.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok i have just changed the storage to what you said and there is nothing showing up in Plex now.
Refresh your library? You just changed all the paths so Plex needs to reindex. Can your also provide another screen shot of the jail storage. Being new screenshots are going to be needed until you can explain things better.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you also change the Plex library configuration (as I also said)?

dreccy

Dabbler
Yes i deleted both the librays and set it up anew. The same thing is happening. Whichever one I set up first works and the other one doesnt. Does it matter that the destination folder is the same under the jail storage? Isnt the destination what Plex looks at for files so in my case it will be trying to look in the same place for both movies and tv series.

And please, could you stop with the patronising remarks. I am very new to this, literally yesterday and all this Jail and Dataset stuff is very confusing. I understand your frustration at someone who is new to this and just getting thier head around the terminolgy and the way this works which I can only apologise for but it doesnt help much when someone is being like that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
As @SweetAndLow said, we're going to need some screen shots, because what you're saying just isn't making sense. Show
  • The storage configuration for the jail (same as the last screen shot you posted above)
  • For each library, the folders added. To get this, from the Plex web UI, move your mouse over the name of the library. Notice the "..." that appears to the right. Click on the "..." and choose Edit from the menu that pops up. Then, on the left side of the Edit Library window, click Add Folders.
Edit: OK, you posted the first one now. And no, you didn't do what I'd said. The destinations need to be different. You've left them the same.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

dreccy

Dabbler
Im only using jails because thats the guide I followed...i installed the plug in and the guide told me to use jails...what else can I do?

Anyway, more screenshots coming as you requested. Oh and my apologies for the change...i did make the change but I did the source, not the destination because I was getting myself in a tizz.

Status
Not open for further replies.