Not open for further replies.

skterjusgia

Cadet
Hello everybody ,

FreeNAS version 9.2.1.8
Working on VirtualBox
FreeNAS hosted on Windows Server 2008

I am running FreeNAS on virtualbox, I have set up two interfaces on Windows:
one for the LAN so I can host FreeNAS (internal network) and the other for internet connection(bridged adapter).

I set up static IP addresses at first I could ping from cmd in Windows but not from the shell in FreeNAS software.

My default gateway and nameservers were set up properly, still I couldn't ping. So I decided to enable DHCP but I am still struggling since I cannot ping from the shell yet.

Please help me if you have been in the same position or have any knowledge regarding this topic I ran through all the documentation and forum discussion where FreeNAS in Virtualbox was involved.

I have no available plugins and can't install them manually due to internet errors.

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Default gateway and nameservers wouldn't be applicable if you were pinging a local IP address. My guess is a misconfiguration in your virtualbox setup.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Initial thoughts: used to be you couldn't ping from inside a NAT network in VirtualBox. I dimly recall that might have changed.

Second thought: Microsoft got burned on ICMP years back and was terrified of it for decades. Might still block it by default with whatever they call the firewall now.

skterjusgia

Cadet
Well I have other Virtual Machines in installed and they work fine . When I try to ping I will get error like : no route to host
also when FreeNAS start in the log file the error : freenas ntpd_initres 8004: hostname not found.

I already saw a post on this error (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/default-host-name-host-name-not-found.14749/) saying that DNS is missconfigured but still, my Nameserver is set to 8.8.8.8.

Ofc I have disabled the firewall

Thank you very much for your time and effort .

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
my Nameserver is set to 8.8.8.8
This is a Google Public DNS Server. No way that it can resolve IP Addresses on your internal network (if that is what you are trying to do).

Try putting your internal DNS IP (normally your Router/DHCP Server IP Address) as the first DNS Server and set 8.8.8.8 as a Secondary (to handle Internet Name Resolution).

Status
Not open for further replies.