Photos/video organizing, sharing, and backup - a sanity check

otpi

Contributor
I've been searching for a good "no hassle" way of keeping up with all the "important moments" captured on various cameras/devices.

I would like to hear how other people tackle this? And sanity check my solution.

My current setup is just a mac with Photos (with sufficiently backup). However; Photos is terrible once you outgrow your local storage, or want to share/sync multiple libraries (wife, kids etc...). I'm also keeping a large library of digitized media from past generations, and want to share this with the larger family. I could go cloud, but I'm for local storage. I'm not really into spending time editing photos/videos, but I want to be able to if needed.

Hence "The Plan":
  • Storing on my FreeNAS on a dedicated windows dataset with a generous automatic snapshot plan, and shared as smb for local access to files.
    - I don't expect much to be deleted, just want to avoid any accidents.
    - I will keep an offline/offsite backup using an external drive.
  • Editing from the smbshare using whatever software is needed.
    - I will adjust as needed, but I have looked at Adobe Lightroom?
  • Sharing using Plex (yes, I have a lifetime plex pass anyways).
    - I can make users for all family members with access to different photo libraries.
    - Plex apps covers most devices for viewing.
    - Bandwidth is not a problem, as I have fiber to my house, and my router is a server running pfSense.
  • Sync (mobile). Plex offers automatic sync from mobile devices.
    - Plex only has read rights to my media dataset, but I assume I can give plex rw for the photo/video dataset.

Anyone else using something similar?