Photo Sorting and storing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyUk

Dabbler
Hi,

I know this may not be a feature that FreeNAS would develop however maybe someone in the community maybe able to put forward some recommendations.

My NAS:
Freenas 9.2.1.7
4x 2TB WD RED
i3 35W 2.90GHz CPU
Rsyncs to another 4TB single drive freenas offsite backup (weekly)

Plex Jail
CIFS share for family photos.

The Idea:
I take photos on a DSLR camera, these photos can be 20MB or more large and when put into plex at this size it takes forever to stream etc.
S0... I take a copy of the files and re-size them to much smaller size. I then sort the photos into folders by date eg: "/photos/2014/01/25" contains all the photos from Jan 25th 2014... this is a long manual process!

I would like to be able to have a "HOT FOLDER" on the freenas that I can just drag files from memory cards into. Then a program or Jail (per schedule) sorts them into folders (eg: /photos/2014/01/25) using Exif data, puts copied and re-sized images into /media/photos/2014/01/25 for Plex to display on the TV/laptops/ipads etc.

Anyone with any recommendations, even on one of the steps would be helpful :)

Thanks

Jimmy

gpsguy

I store my photos in a similiar fashion, but just do it manually, after transferring the images from the camera to my desktop, then up to the NAS. Rather than date, I lump them together by activity, so if I took a trip to the UK in January, all those pictures would be together.

/photos/2014/01/UK

Are you shooting RAW? Are you resizing/converting to jpeg after the fact? In my camera, I shoot RAW + jpeg. Yes, I could batch process the RAW files into jpegs, but disk is cheap and I can give someone a raw file right away.

JimmyUk

Dabbler
As a rule it's just jpeg, sometimes RAW if it's needed for work or to send to a print shop.

There's no problem manual however making it automatic would mean that everyone in the household can dump photos to a shared folder every time they want them on "the TV for the folks to see". not to mention get included in a backup!

I will be doing some googleing later and will share what i find but if anyone has any ideas do chime in :)

thanks
Jimmy

Whattteva

Wizard
Not sure if there's any existing tool to do this, but you can certainly write your own program to do this.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I have no doubt there are tools that you could manipulate using scripting to do this. Shouldn't be too hard to find a program that will output the EXIF data. Then just parse the data you want, dump into a folder as appropriate and repeat for next file.

Not difficult, but definitely not trivial if you don't know some language like bash or python.

Status
Not open for further replies.