Backup options

wr00

Dabbler
Hello all.

Let me preface by saying this isn't exactly a FeeNAS question, but does involve FreeNAS shares.

I am trying to come out with some backup options for a non-standard (maybe?) backup requirement. Currently I am not sure what amount of storage I will be using, as I would like to get a backup in place before I start moving files. Ultimately I am only inquiring about cloud backup solutions. I currently have a WS2016 VM on my Hyper-V host running local backups to a local store (not on FreeNAS). I would like to expand on that backup to having a few of my FreeNAS shares mounted and live sync'd to the cloud. Internally I have a 7-day retention of backups for these folders, but I don't need/want that from the cloud (too much storage space, likely). I just need a live sync/backup for irreplaceable data, which is only a portion of my storage pool.

I have looked at Google's "Backup and Sync" for Google One, however, when selecting a network drive, it only allows for photos and videos (I have photos/videos/documents/files needing backed up).
Microsoft's OneDrive client only syncs a folder, so a network drive isn't available.
Amazon Glacier has good prices, but I don't think it would be a good option as I am looking more for live-data versus long term.

Any suggestions to fit this requirement?

Edit: I thought I would add the reason I am aiming this route. I would like to have two unique "backups" of the files. I am pretty sure I could rsync to a local drive, then copy that to the cloud via Backup and Sync, but I would rather two unique backups be done without congesting additional internal storage space.

Last edited:

wr00

Dabbler
Update: I ended up finding a solution. Using robocopy and rclone covers all the needs I had.

SaraNobi1

Cadet
Update: I ended up finding a solution. Using robocopy and rclone covers all the needs I had.
good to hear that your problem solved by robocopy , as you ask about suggestions, you have secure copy quest or gs rich copy360 for an issue like that but this suggestion if it's ok for GUI SW, also there is a GUI version from robocopy which I can mention if you need.