Cloud backup tweak?

Dirk

Patron
I've been looking at cloud backup options and narrowed it down to Crashplan or Backblaze B2 (
feel free to offer options).

Where it gets tight is that I have 4.3TB of data. This would take a considerable time to upload, and Backblaze B2 would cost quite a few bucks. I do like the fact that Backblaze B2 is integrated to Freenas cloud sync tasks to make it easier.

What thought bounced off my brain was to do a full backup to an external drive and lock it in a fireproof safe once a month, and then use one of the services to backup files that changed or were added in that month to the cloud thus cutting the space used on the cloud significantly.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, appreciated.

Thanks

I use Backblaze and it works flawlessly. It runs as a Cloud Task on a schedule I specify. The initial backup takes a while, but I have different schedules for each dataset, so you don't have to do them all at once initially. Back up the critical datasets first, and when each is done, continue enabling the next one.

Yes, the hard drive option is a thing, but you need to encrypt and/or secure the data. Copy data and put the drive at a trusted family/friends house once a month. Or in the garage. Somewhere other than the same building as your NAS.