Folder sync between two nas on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan Hall

Cadet
Hi, I recently built my first freenas system, and have fell in love with all the features such as plex. I have a WD drive that i had previously been using, and want to keep that and use it as a backup for the freenas data, and stream its own things to things like sonos. So I Copied all my media (music movies photos) from my WD to the freenas system however I want the two sync with each other adding any file or folder that is created on one to the other. Whats the best way to go about this, Thanks!

adrianwi

Guru
How is the 4tb drive connected to your FreeNAS machine? And do you want to sync in both directions? ZFS replication or rsync would work. Which is better depends on the answers :)

Ethan Hall

Cadet
The Wd drive (mybook live) is connected via LAN as described in the title, sorry i didn't touch on that specifically. I found a good program called syncbackfree which seems to work fine for me, thanks for your efforts though

David3D

Explorer
I use FreeFileSync for CIFS backups. Not sure if it would work in your case.

I set up a batch file to execute via Windows task scheduler. It's a bit arse-about-face, but I'm not guru enough for rsync and would rather I had instant access to backup files if a big crash were to grenade all data.

EDIT: SyncBackFree looks good. I'm liking the email logs function!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.