Persistent logging - /etc/var/log - syslog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Townsend

Dabbler
I have been searching the web for ways to get persistent logging on my FreeNAS server. By default, the system logs are located under /etc/var/log which is in RAM.

I need persistent logging because my FreeNAS server is rebooting randomly at least once a week. Since the default logging is stored in RAM, there are no log files to view after the reboot.

I have tried the persistent-logging-script.sh, but it would crash my server every time I ran it. I also have read from the FreeNAS documentation guide that if you create a dataset under a zfs pool named "syslog" then reboot, then FreeNAS will create a log directory in that dataset that will hold all log files for persistent logging.

I tried this, but there was no directory created after reboot. Someone please tell me how I can get persistent logging so I can troubleshoot these random reboots.

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? Recent versions allow you to set the location of the system log in System -> System Dataset.

D

dlavigne

That version is far too old to take advantage of either the feature I mentioned or that you read about.

D

dlavigne

You're pretty much on your own if you can't upgrade in order to take advantage of new features.

Nick Townsend

Dabbler
You're pretty much on your own if you can't upgrade in order to take advantage of new features.

Could you explain to me the best way to upgrade versions. I am able to do so, but I have to go through a process of steps to get to that point due to company policies.

I have read that you can upgrade firmware by uploading a tar.gz file and the SHA56 sum for that image. I know I must backup the current config file. Will there be issues uploading my config file to the upgraded version. I have seen cases where people have had issues getting their old config file to load on an upgraded version.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual provides a good walkthrough of the steps... doc.freenas.org

Nick Townsend

Dabbler
The manual provides a good walkthrough of the steps... doc.freenas.org
I followed the documentation to upgrading the firmware. I cannot unlock my ZFS volume with my password. I am trying to unlock it as I have successfully done before on my previous version of FreeNAS, but it won't unlock...

Status
Not open for further replies.