Logging to syslog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottNZ

Dabbler
Hi All,

I've read in the docs that I should be able to create a syslog dataset and FreeNAS will create its log files there. I've tried this (with a reboot) but ls -al /mnt/RAIDZVol1/syslog/ shows nothing but . and .. entries.

What else do I need to do? What have I missed?

I have reset "Use system dataset for syslog" and reboot, but still no logs can be seen on the syslog databaset. With this option set, I do see my logs in /mnt/RAIDZVol1/.system/syslog/log/ directory. I suppose that's just as good as on syslog, but I'm curious why it won't create the logs on the syslog dataset.

Thanks,
Scott

D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? Was this a fresh install or an upgrade?

bloomo

Explorer
Having the same issue. I'm on 9.2.1.5 new install. I was hoping that by adding the syslog dataset the logs wouldn't "turn over" due to the 100k limit and that they would persistently log. (But maybe this is a bad idea and that my drives will never sleep again!?)

Sent from my T0LTE using Tapatalk

ScottNZ

Dabbler
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I am running v 9.2.1.5. It was an upgrade from 9.2.1.4 which was upgraded from 9.2.1.3 fresh install, I believe.

Regards,
Scott

bloomo

Explorer
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I am running v 9.2.1.5. It was an upgrade from 9.2.1.4 which was upgraded from 9.2.1.3 fresh install, I believe.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, maybe you can add the "Question" Identifier to your post subject, it may get a response sooner.

Yatti420

Wizard
FreeNAS 9.2.1.x stores samba info / syslog if you choose persistently on a pool.. See System > Settings > Advanced...

You should see a hidden directory .system with samba/syslog within..

bloomo

Explorer
FreeNAS 9.2.1.x stores samba info / syslog if you choose persistently on a pool.. See System > Settings > Advanced...

You should see a hidden directory .system with samba/syslog within..

Sorry for the late thank you, but thanks Yatti.

The freenas docs say that you should make a dataset called "syslog" on the system's selected pool and the syslog will use that. But it seems as if that is redundant now, the system just uses the hidden .system folder... which I have found, now that you pointed us there :).

Status
Not open for further replies.