SYSLOG: syslog server not receiving messages from freenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmahone

Dabbler
Hi,

i am having an issue with my Freenas 8.3.1 machine sending syslog messages to a syslog server (windows XP with syslog watcher and the what'sup gold syslog software). I am not trying to use both at the same time, but i tried 2 just for troubleshooting purposes (just to prove that one of them was not the problem). using a syslog generator locally on the pc that has the syslog software on it, i can create a test message directed to the ip that i have entered into the syslog server field of the freenas GUI. On another pc generating a message for the syslog server, it never gets there. Any ideas on what to start checking?

thanks!

venkavis

Explorer
I also have a similar issue. The console shows error message as "syslogd: sendto: Host is down". But the host is up and running. My syslog server is a syslog server running on another nas device from zyxel (NSA 320).

How do I validate that the setup is correct? (I have given the IP address of the NSA device for syslog server setting in freeNas)

Or how do I test that my syslog server is setup to receive messages properly?

Thanks in advance!

rpmahone

Dabbler
I also have a similar issue. The console shows error message as "syslogd: sendto: Host is down". But the host is up and running. My syslog server is a syslog server running on another nas device from zyxel (NSA 320).

How do I validate that the setup is correct? (I have given the IP address of the NSA device for syslog server setting in freeNas)

Or how do I test that my syslog server is setup to receive messages properly?

Thanks in advance!

the root cause of my issue was my windows client. i repaired the installation and that fixed it. i used the app called SYSLOGGEN.exe, this is a windows version but i think there were IX/MAC/etc.. versions available.. now it works great, i just have to decide at which level i want to be alerted to... i can't decide... :)

venkavis

Explorer
Ok. So I still have the issue then. Hoping somebody would respon on what port does the syslogd tries to send the logs.

venkavis

Explorer
Thank you. I did tried telnet from the shell to the syslog server on port 514 and its able to connect. But when I issue the command nc -w0 -u 192.168.0.1 514 <<< "testing again from my home machine". But I don't see any message received in the syslog service.

I will open a service request with zyxel to see what they say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.