Getting tons of syslog messages on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Baumeister

Dabbler
Hi, I have a single-disk Synology box on the network that also acts as a syslog server. This receives syslog messages from my FreeNAS box. I've set up the server to send me an email with any critical or error messages.

When FreeNAS is rebooted, it seems to be spitting every console line right from the start (well, certainly not before the network interface comes up :smile: onto my syslog server with a "critical" status.

Can this be normal behavior? Certainly, those details shouldn't be rated "critical", I would think? Perhaps this can be turned off?

Thanks!

Hans Baumeister

Dabbler
Hmm... I was just stepping through the messages I mentioned earlier to see which ones I could delete. There are messages here way before the Ethernet interface could possibly be up. In fact, I found messages where FreeBSD tells me the system type, etc. And: one that comes up right at the beginning:

FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE-p3 #0 r+790acc4: Thu Feb 20 12:53:11 PST 2014

The message, however, was sent this morning at 7:19AM (March 7)!!!

These are old log messages, apparently - what are they doing being sent to my syslog server? Bug?

D

dlavigne

Please post a copy of the log that is showing up on the server side. Also, how is critical defined on the server side?

Hans Baumeister

Dabbler
Please post a copy of the log that is showing up on the server side. Also, how is critical defined on the server side?

Looking at it again, I'm going to assume the date/time I gave above is the compile time of the FreeBSD install... in any case, I've attached the relevant messages from my Syslog server.

As far as how "critical" is defined on the server side... I thought with syslog that was standard? In any case, the server I use is a simple one running on a Synology NAS; there are no settings available to that effect.

Attachments

• Syslog.pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 251
D

dlavigne

That's a really interesting format... I'm not sure why Synology is marking these as critical, but those are just basic bootup messages that get written to /var/log/messages when the system boots. Which version of FreeNAS is it?

Rand

Guru
I had the same effect *if* i had an error the last time before the boot (which set debugging on)... then all regular messages where critcal++ until the error state got reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.