permissions/inheritance: FreeNAS vs Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

timb3r

Cadet
Hello,

We have been using FreeNAS on our campus for a few years now and I must say, it's a great storage solution. Better than many commercial offerings!
However one issue came up when we had to migrate a Windows server to FreeNAS on an emergency basis (the windows server crashed). The samba config on FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1) does not assign default permissions as expected.
Here is a portion of an automated script that creates many folders and assigns permissions. Snip:
Code:
md "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe"
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "Domain admins":(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:r /C
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "Admin-GC":(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:r /C
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "SYSTEM":(OI)(CI)F /inheritance:r /C
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "jboulay@nad.qc.ca":(OI)(CI)F /C
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "mpawica":(OI)(CI)F /C
icacls "\\rd-srvhd2\Enseignement\Groupes-cours\7ANG008-A17-N01\Remises\test tim\BOULAY, Jean-Christophe" /grant "7ANG008-N01-CORR":(OI)(CI)F /C
:after12

Here are the resulting permissions on the folder created on a share hosted a Windows server :
WindowsACL.jpg

and same thing on a FreeNAS server:
FreenasACL.jpg

FreeNAS seems to be adding inherited permissions. I also tested the script on a share mounted on a Fedora 26 server configured with Samba using a default configuration and winbind for account mapping. The share was mapped to an XFS partition and using acl_xattr VFS module to store permissions. The result on the linux server was the same as in Windows.

What could be causing this?

Last edited:

mikensan

Dabbler
How do you have the dataset configured? Did you uncheck set permission recursively?
upload_2017-9-2_14-52-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-2_14-50-41.png
    upload_2017-9-2_14-50-41.png
    34 KB · Views: 408

timb3r

Cadet
How do you have the dataset configured? Did you uncheck set permission recursively?
View attachment 20414
The same way as you. Set permissions recursively is unchecked. This appears to be a bug as I did some initial tests on a new FreeNAS server and the permissions were correct. When I ran the script again, the permissions were messed up. Where are the ACLs stored?

Status
Not open for further replies.