iSCSI NTFS permissions nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill start by saying please dont judge me on any poor practices, ive been kind of thrown in at the deep end and im flying by the seat of my pants.

I have a freenas server with a single large iSCSI shared drive (its multiple drives raided, but one zfs volume) its shared between around 20 systems, some are on a domain some are not. when i set everything up i was able to add all the users needed and set permissions, those permissions are still in force but i am unable to see them or change them now. any changes i do make are reverted next time the system boots, while the users on the domain who had permissions assigned initially can access it machines not on the domain cant.

i have reset the permissions in a bunch of ways, yet no matter what i do the permissions are gone on the next reboot. i thought maybe ownership had changed to my domain account but im totally unable to access it on the domain, nor can i add any permissions as i did initially, there are also a bunch of files which will not allow me to change permissions no matter what. how can i clear all the permissions from the files and after that what should i do to make the permissions actually stick? i have reset it with these command

takeown /r /SKIPSL /f D:\*
icacls D:\* /T /L /Q /C /RESET

but still after that and resetting everything to what it should be the permissions vanish after. i have many questions, where have i gone wrong? am i going to have to start over? where should i be managing the permissions from and who should be the owner (domain account or a local admin stand alone pc)?

Artion

Patron
So, if I understand it right: you have a FN box with a ZFS volume of n HDD drives. You've created a zvol on it and shared its raw space as an iSCSI device.
How did you share it between around 20 systems?

PS: iSCSI is a block device sharing protocol not a file sharing one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.