FreeNAS Recursive Permissions and PLEX

Galoot

Cadet
Hi all - I've been using Plex for a little while with another FreeNAS system. I've recently built a new FreeNAS system and I'm having issues with permissions with PLEX being able to scan new files I drop into the source area (exisiting files are working fine).

The only workaround is to manually apply recursive permissions for the DataSet under the Pool>Edit Permissions every time. I've googled this to death and tried all sorts of things and it's driving me a bit nuts.

When I look at the permissions in Linux using SSH the permissions on the root of the mounted dataset look the same as the permissions on working file (as does the file that isn't scanned\picked up). But when I look in Windows (using SMB share) the permissions on the root of the dataset are blank which I'm thinking is maybe the problem. Also the permissions on a working file\directory and the non working file\directory are different in Windows. To me it looks like root is missing permissions until I manually apply recursive permissions. But not sure why this wouldn't show when doing ls -al on the command line hence my confusion.

Is anyone able to help me troubleshoot this please?

Thanks

Tim

Galoot

Cadet
Not sure if this helps but below is permission results from a dataset folder having the problem... looks like the permissions have been repeated on the main folder? Then in the directory\files thats not working\scanning it has a different owner (guest rather than root).

I can see a Plex process running with user ID 972 which I guess must be included in the recursive permission action (for it to work) but not in the default when copied. This result below is from the Movie dataset root folder (used as one of the sources for a Plex jail mount.

root@freenas[~]# getfacl /mnt/Galoot-M3/Movies
# file: /mnt/Galoot-M3/Movies
# owner: root
# group: Guest
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fdi---I:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fdi---I:allow
everyone@:--------------:fdi---I:allow
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow

And this is from an actual working movie file:

# owner: root
owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
everyone@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow

And this is from a non working movie file (before forcing recursive permissions down).

# owner: guest
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:------I:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:------I:allow
everyone@:--------------:------I:allow

Does this help - I'm not great with Linux so not sure what to change here to resolve this problem?

Galoot

Cadet
Actually I think I just spotted the problem - in the non working file the everyone section doesn't have any permissions set? Which likely includes which ever ID Plex is using in the jail?

So I just need to get the root Movie folder to set the correct everyone permissions?

Galoot

Cadet
or somehow make the Plex user part of the Guest group but not sure how to do that as the user is set in the jail and so not showing in the normal user area.

Am I even warm here?