Permissions on NFS Share from FreeNAS to FreeNAS with Windows ACL

Chris Dill

Contributor
I have two FreeNAS, #1 and #2.

FreeNAS #2 has a dataset:

1583633568256.png

Those are my domain accounts, both servers are authenticated with my windows domain.
The ACL's themselves are all wide open Allow, Full Control, Inherit.

I am sharing the dataset via NFS, the only thing checked here is All Dirs. Under Services > NFS here are my options:

1583633706914.png

On FreeNAS#1, I mount the share like this: mount -v -o tcp -t nfs 192.168.2.163:/mnt/POOL4/Plex5 /mnt/POOL2/Plex/POOL4MAP/

The dataset the mount is on has identical permissions and ACL.

When I am on FreeNAS#2 I can edit files. One FeeeNAS#1 I cannot touch anything.

On FreeNAS #2, here are my ACL Permissions on a folder which I can edit, but it is local storage:

Code:
root@POOL2:/mnt/POOL2/Plex # getfacl TV

# file: TV
# owner: DILLDESIGN\administrator
# group: DILLDESIGN\domain users
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
         everyone@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow

When I check ACL on my NFS mount, I see this:

Code:
root@POOL2:/mnt/POOL2/Plex # getfacl POOL4MAP/
# file: POOL4MAP/
# owner: DILLDESIGN\administrator
# group: DILLDESIGN\domain users
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::rwx

Any attempt to modify permissions through GUI or CL through chown, chmod, or setfacl fail.
The top folder here is the one that is not working, the bottom folder is the local storage that IS working:

1583633917883.png

I have also tried to yank ACL like this:

find /mnt/POOL2/Plex -type d -exec setfacl -m everyone@:full_set:fd:allow {} \;
find /mnt/POOL2/Plex -type f -exec setfacl -m everyone@:full_set:allow {} \;

Nothing has worked, can anyone shed some light? I vaguely remember having to manually set up ACL years ago to fix this on FreeNAS#!, but meh.

Oh, and I also tried every which way inside of Windows to yank permissions, even so far as mounting the dataset as a SMB share off of FreeNAS#2 and applying windows permissions that way, to no avail. I have recursively applied permissions from both ends, nothing.

KrisBee

Wizard
Not sure what you mean by "not working" as the NFS mount looks to be behaving as expected. Datasets shared by SMB have the "aclmode" property set to "restricted" by default preventing "chmod" etc in your situation, one reason why if you want predictable results sharing the same data via SMB and NFS is best avoided.

For exmaple, see this old thread: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...icted-actually-needed-for-samba-shares.55146/

Chris Dill

Contributor
Not sure what you mean by "not working" as the NFS mount looks to be behaving as expected. Datasets shared by SMB have the "aclmode" property set to "restricted" by default preventing "chmod" etc in your situation, one reason why if you want predictable results sharing the same data via SMB and NFS is best avoided.

For exmaple, see this old thread: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...icted-actually-needed-for-samba-shares.55146/
Thanks. Alright, so then what is my best option here? Basically I have one dataset on FreeNAS#2 which I need mapped and mounted into 3 different jails on FreeNAS#1, with full write permissions to everyone.