SOLVED Cif share issues - How to reset dataset and share to default ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Hi,

For some reason (don't ask me why) it is not possible anymore to change the acls on our cifs shares incl. files and folders...the users informed me.

As group owner- Windows explorer, right click, properties, security on a share, it is possible to edit permissions but if I apply it recursive it simply does not apply without any error ! It is also not possible to add users or groups!

Furthermore if I check permissions on files or folder inside the same share I'm not able to edit the permissions at all (greyed out).

So I think the best is to reset the shares to default or do I miss something ?

If not, what is the common way to do it on Freenas side ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

For some reason (don't ask me why) it is not possible any more to change the acls on our cifs shares incl. files and folders...the users informed me.

As group owner- Windows explorer, right click, properties, security on a share, it is possible to edit permissions but if I apply it recursive it simply does not apply without any error ! It is also not possible to add users or groups!

Furthermore if I check permissions on files or folder inside the same share I'm not able to edit the permissions at all (greyed out).

So I think the best is to reset the shares to default or do I miss something ?

If not, what is the common way to do it on Freenas side ?

Did you recently upgrade to 11.1-U3?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Resetting permissions to default can be accomplished by toggling the "apply default permissions" checkbox in your SMB share config. Turn it off, then turn it back on (not a great UI decision). This will shotgun "Owner -full control, group- full control, everyone- readonly" across your entire share.

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Additionally-

How does the windows dataset option 'mode' affect windows shares and following up setting rights to it with windows ?

tiberiusQ

Contributor
Just to let you guys know that resetting the cif shares to defaults it was also necessary to reset the corresponding datasets as well !
-
One weird thing which I really do not understand is that it is not possible to edit the windows acls (shares) from a windows 7 or windows 10 when the client is part of the same workgroup as the freenas.
If the client is not part of the same workgroup it works...strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.