Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Methods For Fine-Tuning Samba Permissions

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is there any way, through the FreeNAS gui, to set FreeNAS SMB shares up so that only the Owner/Owner Group have read rights? (i.e. the 'Read' permission is not applied to all registered users as is the default).
The default ACL for SMB shares starting in 11.2-U6 is to only grant Owner / Owner Group rights. In 11.3 we have a graphical ACL manager that will allow you to fine-tune beyond that.

seb101

Ah so it is... I was working with a few shares created in versions prior to U6 which was causing my confusion.

seb101

While we are on the topic... my FreeNas box will resolve from '\\nas' or '\\nas.lan' (.lan being my local DNS suffix). When I'm editing ACLs in Windows explorer if I set access persmissions for a share while accessing it at \\nas.lan so for example I grant full permissions on \\nas.lan\share1 to user nas.lan\seb then at a later date try to access it at \\nas\share1 - it doesn't work (no access). Is there any way to have this permissions 'consolidated' for the local user 'seb'?

Hello and Thank You in advance. I have just done a fresh install to 11.2.U7 and keep getting the message SMB failed to start. I have given permission under Group/User, Under sharing added path to my share and given permission to assigned user/group and under storage given permission to user/group. I am at a lost. Any idea?

Regards,
Mark