$cmd 00001 allow all from any to any via lo0

# allow any connection to/from VPN interface
$cmd 00010 allow all from any to any via $vpn

# allow connection to/from LAN by Transmission
$cmd 00101 allow all from me to 192.168.5.0/24 uid transmission
$cmd 00102 allow all from 192.168.5.0/24 to me uid transmission

# deny any Transmission connection outside LAN that does not use VPN
$cmd 00103 deny all from any to any uid transmission

When I download a test torrent and then stopping the openvpn service the file stops downloading (download speed to 0) and then after a minute it starts back up again. I'm not sure if this an issue with 11.3 as I believe it worked in prior version but I'm not 100% sure. Or is there a problem with my firewall rule?

I'm not seeing the behaviour you're seeing. I'm on 11.3 with the same rules. Turned off the openvpn service for five minutes and it stayed down till I turned it back on. So I don't believe the issue is 11.3 or the rules.

NasKar

Guru
I'm not seeing the behaviour you're seeing. I'm on 11.3 with the same rules. Turned off the openvpn service for five minutes and it stayed down till I turned it back on. So I don't believe the issue is 11.3 or the rules.
Thanks for checking. I have no idea where to look next.

NasKar

Guru
I decided to reinstall FN 11.3 as maybe there was a problem with the upgrade. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue but a strange thing happened. I have a /git directory with scripts in it on. They disappeared after I reinstalled from scratch. Is that because they need to be in /mnt/v1/git to survive a wipe of the boot drive?

Thanks for checking. I have no idea where to look next
The main difference between our setups will be the VPN provider we each use. Could there be a problem with certificates and keys?

NasKar

Guru
I think if the certificates/keys were a problem the vpn wouldn’t work at all.