Only half my storage is available on ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Spearfoot what do you mean with the first part? Was it sarcastic?
No, not being sarcastic. I just felt like a fool for not getting more information before leaping to conclusions... :smile:

crwoo

Dabbler
Hi, is there a simple answer why i would gain double storage with adding only two drives? And why couldnt i just add the drives to the current raid without backup/restore. I thought there is an option to add more drives

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, is there a simple answer why i would gain double storage with adding only two drives?
Yes: currently you are using 4 drives in RAIDZ2, which means you're using 2 drives for parity, leaving you 2 drives for data. When you use 6 drives in RAIDZ2, you still only use 2 drives for parity - but you have 4 drives for data, giving you twice as much space.
And why couldnt i just add the drives to the current raid without backup/restore. I thought there is an option to add more drives
Oh, yes, you can expand a pool. You expand a pool by adding one or more vdevs (a vdev is one or more drives). You could expand your existing pool with a mirrored pair vdev, as I mentioned - but that would only give you the space of a single drive in additional capacity. I also suggested adding another 4-drive RAIDZ2 vdev identical to the one you have now, but that would be just as inefficient: you'd still be using half your drives for parity.

No, the most efficient way to expand your pool is to re-create it with add'l drives as I last suggested. I mentioned adding two drives, but you could add three or four if you want to. I use 7 disks in a RAIDZ2 pool (see 'my systems' for details).

joeschmuck

Old Man
No, not being sarcastic. I just felt like a fool for not getting more information before leaping to conclusions... :)
The bad part for me is I did read that it was 4TB x4 drives and I did read it was a raidz2 from the output but it didn't sink in. The 13TB initial image got me wrapped around the axles.

zambanini

Patron
just force people to provided basic information about they system the use.

Status
Not open for further replies.