Old QNAP mainboard swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Dunn

Cadet
Hi All,

I have a QNAP-TS-209 and its great but its a bit old now, and noisy so as i`m tight and never want to part with my hard earned money I got my hacker thinking cap on and was thinking why don't I just replace the main board. I have looked into a few different option firstly a mini itx board but 17x17 only just fits and the main issue is height, there isnt much room between the base of the case and the harddrives, and most boards have some kind of heatsink. I have also looked at NUC and brix mainboards which would easily fit but they are a little pricey for what they are. I then found the VIA EPIANR10000EG on amazon for £30 which looks like it would do the job, it says would run Linux so hopefully there shouldn't be too many issues.

the board doesn't need to be overly powerful as long as I can download and stream of it in at least 720p then im a happy bunny.

Iv not had any dealing with these via boards before and just wondered if anyone else had, or if anyone see any potential issues with what i'm planning.

INCSlayer

Contributor
this is not the QNAP support forum if you have issues with your QNAP TS-209 you should talk to them not us.

if your wondering if the VIA EPIANR10000EG works with freenas I would say most likely not

jprouvos

Dabbler
Hi Craig,

Are you planning to run FreeNAS on this board? If not, you're quite far off-topic here. If yes, this board doesn't even come close to the recommended hardware. The fact that it isn't even listed on the VIA website means that it is highly experimental or long discontinued.
Please elaborate a bit more on your intentions.

/J.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That board is just about as bad as you could get for a NAS...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, it's a 2007-era nearly-first-generation cheapo-NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.