QNAP TVS-1282T3 vs DIY build a NAS

attorney

Cadet
Well my QNAP TVS-1282T3 (Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz, 64GB RAM, 4-LAN, 2x 10Gbase-T, 4x Thunderbolt 3 port, etc.) is out of warranty.

I am tired of waiting for QNAP to offer their QUTS-Hero (aka ZFS) OS. I read a thread from 2018 about running FreeNAS on a QNAP so I was wondering whether anyone knows about running TrueNAS on this QNAP.

But, unless someone thinks using the QNAP is a really great idea... I am thinking what I REALLY need is some pointers for best bang-for-the-buck options to build my own TrueNAS machine. I looked at a few prefab TrueNAS machines and they were pricey enough that I wanted to put this question up for opinions on whether to:
  1. repurpose the QNAP
  2. buy an 8-bay prebuilt TrueNAS, or
  3. build one. My preference at this moment leans to build one but don't know what is good hardware. I don't want to build junk.
Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Are you willing to be a sys admin, and learn to work under the hood of a system? Then a DIY NAS based on TrueNAS may be a good fit for you. If not, then a pre-built system with support will probably work better for you. Repurposing the QNAP will likely end up in the worst of both scenarios, as you'll likely have to work around QNAP hardware quirks, but won't be able to rely on QNAP support if you get stuck.

attorney

Cadet
Back in the day I used to build Linux machines and run my own mail server so I’m not that concerned about being an admin and getting it to work this is all for fun and learning. So I’m happy to build one and I looked at the shorter hardware list and I’m assuming it’s all good but I didn’t know if anybody had any opinions if something was better than others. And if the cost to build it myself is comparable to the cost of buying a pre-built machine that is actually a good build machine then I don’t mind buying one since I think it might support the TrueNAS community a little better.

attorney

Cadet
Are you willing to be a sys admin, and learn to work under the hood of a system? Then a DIY NAS based on TrueNAS may be a good fit for you. If not, then a pre-built system with support will probably work better for you. Repurposing the QNAP will likely end up in the worst of both scenarios, as you'll likely have to work around QNAP hardware quirks, but won't be able to rely on QNAP support if you get stuck.
I’m still getting used to this I meant my other message to be a reply to you. I think it’s a very good point about being the worst of both worlds if I try to use the QNAP. Thanks for that advice.

peter.m

Dabbler
Well my QNAP TVS-1282T3 (Intel Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz, 64GB RAM, 4-LAN, 2x 10Gbase-T, 4x Thunderbolt 3 port, etc.) is out of warranty.

I am tired of waiting for QNAP to offer their QUTS-Hero (aka ZFS) OS. I read a thread from 2018 about running FreeNAS on a QNAP so I was wondering whether anyone knows about running TrueNAS on this QNAP.

But, unless someone thinks using the QNAP is a really great idea... I am thinking what I REALLY need is some pointers for best bang-for-the-buck options to build my own TrueNAS machine. I looked at a few prefab TrueNAS machines and they were pricey enough that I wanted to put this question up for opinions on whether to:
  1. repurpose the QNAP
  2. buy an 8-bay prebuilt TrueNAS, or
  3. build one. My preference at this moment leans to build one but don't know what is good hardware. I don't want to build junk.
Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions!

I'm running a TVS-682 (a smaller version of yours minus thunderbolt cards), and tried both CORE and SCALE. Scale has a couple of quirks, but the most important one, is that if your EC firmware is above EC30 (especially if it's ED instead of EC) your CPU fan will NEVER spin up, even if it's 100C, it will be permalocked to the lowest speed. Your HDD fan is uncontrollable. LEDs too, and obviously those speakers are useless now :) Also CORE crashes on UEFI, but works in BIOS mode.

Other than that it works as you might expect. It's just an intel board

blanchet

Guru
I run FreeNAS 11.1u7 on several QNAP rack servers in a datacenter. I use them as backup targets for other TrueNAS servers.

The system are stable and run in production for a couple of years, but there are still some minor issues:
  • it boots only with GRUB, so FreeNAS 11.1u7 is the latest supported version. TrueNAS Scale uses GRUB so it should work but I have never tested.
  • the fan control does not work, so you have to configure the BIOS to run the FAN at the full speed all the time (it is not an issue it the server is in a datacenter)
  • the disk LED identification does not work. So you have to put a tag on each tray with the serial number of the disk.

attorney

Cadet
I run FreeNAS 11.1u7 on several QNAP rack servers in a datacenter. I use them as backup targets for other TrueNAS servers.

The system are stable and run in production for a couple of years, but there are still some minor issues:
  • it boots only with GRUB, so FreeNAS 11.1u7 is the latest supported version. TrueNAS Scale uses GRUB so it should work but I have never tested.
  • the fan control does not work, so you have to configure the BIOS to run the FAN at the full speed all the time (it is not an issue it the server is in a datacenter)
  • the disk LED identification does not work. So you have to put a tag on each tray with the serial number of the disk.
I seems the best thing to do is to build one off of the components on the shorter recommended hardware list. The QNAP is on my desk so full-speed fans would be a bit much to bear. Thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

attorney

Cadet

Thanks for replying, it seems the loss of features makes it a better option to build one from scratch. Thanks again!

Reactions: sup