SOLVED Not Able to Write to a CIFS share from Win or Lin

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Here's one, what does inherit mean? And, once in a Dataset, can clients create their own folders?
Inherit means it takes the default from the parent volume/dataset

Of course users can crate folders in their datasets. It would be pretty useless as a file share if they couldn't create files and folders

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okay, playing with the user accounts, and groups does affect whether or not I can write to a dataset. I'm still not sure which setting is the one, but I'll narrow it down eventually. The issue now is access. How can I allow access to datasets intended for specific users while hiding those datasets from other users on the network?

If you're using samba, you can configure "Access Based Enumeration". It requires some configuration. You will need to use the CLI tool "sharesec" or "computer management" to only allow access for proper users and then add the auxiliary parameter "access based share enum=yes" to your share config.

mhumm2

Explorer
No, I don't believe I am using Samba. Wouldn't that be installed on the clients' side? I actually just helped two of the three users upgrade their computers to Win 10 and I have no idea what that's going to do yet. I've not done anything else to their computers. From their computers, I can see the datasets I've created, but I'm (they) are unable to write to them so far. What software do I need to install on their end (client) to obtain the goals I'm trying to obtain?

I created all the datasets as Windows CIFS so both windows and my Kubuntu computers can access them. I have full access to all datasets from my Kubuntu system, but I'm also in the wheel group which may have something to do with that even though I'm not logged in as root.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You don't need any special software.

You just need to get the permissions correct....

mhumm2

Explorer
Wheew! that's good to know and that's what I'm working on. User 1 has the same user settings as my user account except I have sudo capable and the wheel group in my groups. I can access any dataset, but user 1 can only see them. The datasets are for user 1, 2, and 3 are identical. What could I be missing?

mhumm2

Explorer
I take that back. I do not have write privileges to any "folder" dataset, but my own so that's good. Now I just need to do the same for the other two users.

mhumm2

Explorer
This doesn't make sense to me. Let me get specific.

I have 3 datasets: Mark, Jean, and Carol
I have 3 groups created, one for each of the above and one called "Share"
I have 4 Windows CIFS datasets created: Mark, Jean, Carol, and Share
Each user has listed under Axillary Groups: <their own>, and the Share group
My user account also has the Wheel group added. Since I'm the administrator, I want to be able to sudo

Each dataset created for a user should only allow that user in.
The share dataset should allow anyone in since I checked "Allow guest access." but it does not for some reason.

It's also interesting that when I get into my dataset from my computer, everything is fine, then if I go up one level and come back down to the share dataset, it prompts me for a pw, which it should not do then, when my pw doesn't work (I don't know which one would), I get an error message on the top of Dolphin (Kubuntu file manager) that says: Access denied to smb://mark@familynas/Share."

The hierarchy is familynas (hostname I gave the FreeNAS server) Volume-1/Volume-1/<datasets here>. Here are some screen captures.

Attachments

• storage-1.jpg
    storage-1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 207
  • shareing-1.jpg
    shareing-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 195
  • denied-1.jpg
    denied-1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 183
  • normal-1.jpg
    normal-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 193

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Guest access on share would also need all permissions checked in the dataset for owner/group/other. This makes the directory/dataset chmod 777

mhumm2

Explorer
Okay, so to do that I need to open the guest user account and set all permissions for o/g/o to on. Well it looks like the guest account is called nobody.

Currently, I'm the only user who can access my own dataset from my Kubuntu computer. I do not have access to the Share or Archive datasets, no do the other users and I do no know why.

mhumm2

Explorer
According to the guide, I should be using the Wizard to create the shares, but when I do that, how do I know what Datasets they're connected to?

mhumm2

Explorer
I want to properly document my intentions here for the moderators and fellow users alike so there is no misunderstanding. I think it's time to end this post since it's getting too long without much progress on my part. The responses are slower coming which is my fault because I'm not asking specific questions so this post is all over the map with newbie sweat.

here's what I'm going to do: I'll mark this post as SOLVED to close it down. Then I'm going to blow away all my shares and datasets, dive back into the guide and start again one step at a time. When I run into a problem and can't figure my way out, I'll post a specific question that directly pertains to the challenge at hand. I think this way, I can keep the posts short and effective while not wasting the valuable time of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.