SOLVED File permissions for selected users to access/create/delete folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTheKnife

Dabbler
I'm stuck on setting up FTP read/write file permissions. The read/write permissions for each user can follow the current format:

1. Users can read from all folders they have access to
  2. Users can only write to/delete from their own user folders and any newly created folders.
  3. Make it so that only uberuser1 and uberuser2 can create or delete folders.
Here I know how to handle #1 and #2 but I have no idea if #3 is possible when #2 will occur.

And all rest of my problem below for the FTP directory which looks like:

/
- Main_Folder_1
-- user1
-- user2
-- user3
-- uberuser1
-- uberuser2​
- Main_Folder_2
-- user4
-- user5
-- uberuser1
-- uberuser2​

1. Users uberuser1 and uberuser2 should have access to /, as well as both the Main_Folder_1 and Main_Folder_2 folders.
  2. When users1 to user3 log in, they should start inside the Main_Folder_1 folder. They should not be aware that there is a Main_Folder_2 folder at all, nor should they be able to navigate up into /.
  3. Similarly, when user user4 or user5 logs in, he should start inside the Main_Folder_2 folder. They should not be aware that there is a Main_Folder_1 folder either, nor should he be able to navigate up into /.
#1 - no problem but how to get #2 and #3? I can create new groups MF1 and MF2 for each of those users which will limit access to those folders but how can I set chroot for them to their main folders when after log in to the FTP they are landing into / folder and see both main folders?

I have heard that my problem can by tackled by creating datasets in FreeNAS but I was not able to find any similar example how to handle that.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hmm... I thought I posted a response to this. Guess not...

OP, if you still are working this issue let us know and I will re-type my response (will be a shorter version though).

JackTheKnife

Dabbler
I have got it solved by adding groups and jailed them in the ProFTPd config through auxiliary parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.