None of my plugins will start

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortenSJ

Explorer
Hi

I've been messing around trying to get all my plugins in one jail. I couldn't get that to work, so i decided to install them again, in their own jail.

I did that, and it all went well. They were running fine, but then i rebooted my server, and now none of them will start. I have no idea where to start, but it's getting a little frustrating :)

Hope some one can point me in the right direction. I'm fairly new to FreeNAS.

Best, Morten

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
How did you install all your plugins in one jail?

I run a bunch of things in one jail, but I installed them all from pkg or portsnap. Did you make sure they are enabled in /etc/rc.conf?

MortenSJ

Explorer

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
you make a jail.

you ssh into freenas, and jexec <jail-id> tcsh

pkg install <nameofsoftware>

its just the normal FreeBSD way....

MortenSJ

Explorer
Okay, i made a jail called plugins, and added the storage.

I SSH'ed into my NAS, but i'm not sure what the jexec <jail-id> tcsh command is doing? Where do i find my jail id?

And the pkg install. Where do i find the pkg's I'm guessing it's not the same as pbi's?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
wait, how did you ever configure a plugin jail if you don't know how to find the id and ssh into it?

'jls' will list your running jails and their ids

you dont go and download pkgs, inside the jail you just run the command for the pkg you want
'pkg install nano' will get you nano editor

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
just an FYI, if you manually install the packages in the jail, there is no 'magic plugin button' in the FreeNAS GUI for it. All configuration and start/stop is handled in the command line. If you configure your applications correctly, they will all auto start with the start of the jail, and you shouldnt have to worry about it. The good news is that you can go into your jail at any time and update the packages as you see fit.

MortenSJ

Explorer
Ah okay. I was using the GUI to create and install the jails.

I think i need to do some reading. I was hoping i could configure everything from the GUI.

Is there any tutorials or How to, with the approach you are talking about?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Ah okay. I was using the GUI to create and install the jails.

I think i need to do some reading. I was hoping i could configure everything from the GUI.

Is there any tutorials or How to, with the approach you are talking about?
Once you are inside the jail
(the 'jexec <jail-id> tcsh' puts you inside the jail with a command line)
everything is just FreeBSD. You can follow install instructions for your applications for FreeBSD. At that point (with the exception of a few things) it is just pure FreeBSD, like you would have installed on a normal box, it doesn't even know it is running in FreeNAS.

*EDIT*
I am guessing your previous attempt at setting up a plugin jail failed because you didn't configure anything for your applications. Your plugin jail would have probably worked if you had gone into the CLI and set them up.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If you do want to install multiple plugins to a single jail (and not use the commandline as @pirateghost is helping you with) you can..
  1. install one plugin
  2. upload the remaining PBIs to the plugin jail on the Jails tab

MortenSJ

Explorer
Thanks guys for you help! The reason for choosing FreeNAS was to not have to use the command line. I used to run a Ubuntu Server, and when i'm not using the commands on a daily bases, i forget them, so i wanted to get away from that.

I will try your suggestion Joshua. Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
But that's one of the greatest things about jails. Make a snapshot before you make a change and if it doesn't work just roll it back and try again. If you screw things up too bad delete the jail and start over. All this can be done with no harm to the base OS so you're free to learn without worry.

brando56894

Wizard
Thanks guys for you help! The reason for choosing FreeNAS was to not have to use the command line. I used to run a Ubuntu Server, and when i'm not using the commands on a daily bases, i forget them, so i wanted to get away from that.

I will try your suggestion Joshua. Thanks!

If you don't want to use the console you may want to go back to Windows Server hahaha The power and flexibility of Unix-like systems lies in the console, learn to use it effectively and you'll wonder how you've ever lived without it. If you can't remember commands, use a shell (such as bash or the default csh) that supports aliases and create tons of aliases for common tasks, use cheatsheets or other methods. The way I did it was to create a basic FreeBSD jail then pull everything down from Git, build from the ports collection or install the packages from the repository, then install the RC scripts into the rc.d directory and add the relevant variables to rc.conf.

Status
Not open for further replies.