Imported a disk and it crashed my plugins, now they won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
Yesterday I imported a disk and for some reason, it stopped all my plugins (Plex, Syncthing and CouchPotato), then it got a little over half-way done then just froze. I gave it plenty of time then decided it was indeed frozen so I aborted that. Now the plugins won't start back up. They all have the same error:

root@syncthing_1:/ # service syncthing onestart
Starting syncthing.
login class 'daemon' non-existent, using default
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/syncthing: WARNING: failed to start syncthing

I can't find any resources for this, I saw one post that made be think it was the SNTP service stopped, but I started it and still the same error. I even restored my configs from backup so not sure where to go from here.

Update:

System Information
Build FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Memory 16295MB
Motherboard Supermicro X11SSL-CF
Nbr Drives 2 in Mirror configuration, 1 stand-alone drive that I am using to host the dataset that I am using to host the data that I am importing.
Hard Drive Controller Only the on-board controller, no RAID
Network Card On board

More explanation of what I did: I added a new hard drive and created a volume called "NonMirroredVolume" and a dataset called "NonMirroredDataset" pointing to the new hard drive. I then connected another hard drive that has my data on it and imported that data into the NonMirroredDataset. As soon as the copy started, my plugins went off, but the data was copying fine so I figured they just went offline during the copy for some reason. Then about half way through, no data was copying anymore so I aborted, then rebooted and the plugins wouldn't restart so I tried starting them from the command line to see the errors. I didn't import the data into a jail dataset, it went to my new one and I can see the data in the new dataset just fine.

Last edited:
Hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems. This includes:
  • motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration
  • hard disk controllers
  • network cards

danb35

Hall of Famer
of course I read the rules
Then why didn't you comply with them? Like explain exactly what you did?

It's 99% likely that you've hosed permissions on your jails dataset. The only obvious connection with importing a disk would be if you tried to import that disk into your jails dataset.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Rebuild your jails, you modified the permission of the jails dataset or the jails.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm having a hard time following this:
I then connected another hard drive that has my data on it and imported that data into the NonMirroredDataset.

How exactly did you do this with an existing drive when you say you started with a mirrored pair? Did you remove one? Did you add a 4th drive you didn't tell us about? Where exactly are you trying to move data from/to?

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
I'm having a hard time following this:

How exactly did you do this with an existing drive when you say you started with a mirrored pair? Did you remove one? Did you add a 4th drive you didn't tell us about? Where exactly are you trying to move data from/to?

I didn't remove any drives, I didn't want to import the disk into my current mirrored pair, so I added a 3rd drive then created a dataset on that 3rd drive then imported the disk into the new dataset, so I didn't modify my existing volume on the original mirror.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Please post the output of zpool status in code tags.

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
Please post the output of zpool status in code tags.
Code:
pool: MasterVolume
state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		MasterVolume									ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  mirror-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
			gptid/75a58163-9dfc-11e7-8434-ac1f6b227aa4  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
			gptid/76794db1-9dfc-11e7-8434-ac1f6b227aa4  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: NonMirroredVolume
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		NonMirroredVolume							 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  gptid/5ff5faf0-b7fe-11e7-94ec-ac1f6b227aa4  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

pool: freenas-boot
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Oct 21 03:45:09 2017
config:

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
		freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		  ada1p2	ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I couldn't find anything on how to rebuild jails, so I assume you meant delete/recreate their datasets. I did that, and same error.
You deleted the jail dataset? /mnt/MasterVolume/Jails got removed and created? You can also just change the jail root path to a new dataset that way you don't have to nuke your old config. If you did try to rebuild things and it didn't work then you have probably found a bug of some kind.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok I just wanted to be sure you didn't add that drive to your pool. I'm still getting lost at this:
imported the disk into the new dataset

Please explain exactly what this means. Describe the steps you took to do this. If you created a new pool (which you did) there should be nothing to import.

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
You deleted the jail dataset? /mnt/MasterVolume/Jails got removed and created? You can also just change the jail root path to a new dataset that way you don't have to nuke your old config. If you did try to rebuild things and it didn't work then you have probably found a bug of some kind.
No, sorry, I said dataset but meant the storage for the jail; I deleted and re-created the Storage. When you say the jail root path, do you mean to create a new dataset under /mnt/../jails?

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
Ok I just wanted to be sure you didn't add that drive to your pool. I'm still getting lost at this:

Please explain exactly what this means. Describe the steps you took to do this. If you created a new pool (which you did) there should be nothing to import.
That does sound confusing, what I did was I have an old Synology box that I am retiring, and there is some data that I wanted on those drives, so I took 1 of the drives and plugged it into the Freenas box, and created a dataset on that one drive (not wanting to touch my existing mirrored pair). So now I have 3 drives in Freenas. Then the other 4th drive that has the data that I want, I plugged it into the Freenas box (after I created the dataset on the 3rd drive) and that is when I did the import from the 4th drive onto the 3rd drive. Hope that didn't sound confusing again.

Maybe take a screenshot of the "Storage" tab that lists the pool and datasets to be less confusing.

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
Maybe take a screenshot of the "Storage" tab that lists the pool and datasets to be less confusing.
capture.jpg

look farther up, there is another storage tab. The jail one doesn't say much on how the whole thing is setup.

kcbob_2000

Dabbler
look farther up, there is another storage tab. The jail one doesn't say much on how the whole thing is setup.
I ended up deleting and re-installing the plugins to get back up and running.

SweetAndLow suggested my jail permissions got modified someway, but when I restored my configs, shouldnt that have solved that issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.