no password, no longer can access nas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml6155

Dabbler
Thanks for your help! New to freenas and having problems. One day, without me touching anything the main password disappeared, and i started to get emails saying that it was removed. It still worked however, and since I am the only person accessing it I had no problems that it had no password.

Then yesterday, the NAS gave an error message saying no access was available since it had no password and then stopped showing up on the network at all.

How do I fix this problem if I can't even access the NAS from any of the network computers?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Get a monitor and keyboard and see what the console has to say. There is something going on here other than the password being missing. You can also reset the root password from the console.

Whattteva

Wizard
Either IPMI or good ol' keyboard/monitor right at the system like SweetAndLow said.

ml6155

Dabbler
thanks! once i have it up and running, what should i be looking for to correct the problem?

gpsguy

Please list your hardware details per the forum rules - in red at the top of the page. What version of FreeNAS are you running.

You say that you are the only user, but mention computers (plural) on the network. Are there others in your household, organization, etc. that might try to access/hack your box.

Do you allow access to the box from the Internet? It shouldn't be - but we've seen users do dangerous stuff.

Sent from my phone

ml6155

Dabbler
Sorry, don't know the forum rules yet.

HP N40L Microserver, 8GB RAM. Don't know the version of FREENAS because I can't access the NAS server from any computer on the network. It is a home network only, just I know how to access it. I have never tried to access the box from the internet, nor know how to even set that up!

It is connected to the monitor and keyboard now. What am I looking for to fix the password problem?

Thx!

ml6155

Dabbler
on the menu on the freenas bootup, do i hit #7 "reset webgui settings"?

ml6155

Dabbler
did that, and rebooted...still no access nor is the NAS showing up on the network. what should i do now?

gpsguy

Do you see any errors when it boots up? Does it display an IP address for the webGUI at the bottom of the console setup screen? If so, can you ping that address from one of your other computers?

Have you moved any network cables recently? Reseat them. How are the devices connected - switch/router/... Is that device on?

Sent from my phone

ml6155

Dabbler
Thanks for your help. No errors were seen during boot up, it does display the ip address at the bottom. I tried to ping it from another computer, but got an error message (website not available). No network cables were removed recently and they were newly reseated as you suggested. they switch/router was also reseated. nothing.

what now?

ml6155

Dabbler
when i tried to ping from another computer, the nas unit itself has posted an error message:

freenas ntpd_initres[2742] : host name not found: 0.freebsd.pool.ntpd.org
freenas ntpd_initres[2742] : couldn't resolve '0.freebsd.pool.ntpd.org, giving up on it

what do i do?

gpsguy

The message you saw on the server has nothing to do with the ping from the other pc.

Was the ping from the other pic successful?

The message you are seeing on the server is due to misconfigured network settings. It's probably missing DNS entries, but it also could be missing the gateway address or something else.

Your FreeNAS server is trying to go out to the Internet and contact a time server (NTP).

Sent from my phone

ml6155

Dabbler
the ping was NOT successful, it gave me an error message saying "website not available." i hope this is what you are asking (typing in the ip address from another computer).

can you give me some steps i need to do to fix this? can i install the latest freenas version on another memory stick and still keep all my data? or is it hopeless and i have to start from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.