No anonymous access

photontech

Dabbler
I use 64 bit FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 strictly for streaming with no access restrictions. All of a sudden gaining access to the server has stopped. I can see the server in my network listings and can log into the web interface no problem. When I try to access from windows 7 it says no access found. When I try to access from my WD TV Live it says "Invalid username and password". I then check the box to remember me (which usually works) and it keeps happening over and over. I have rebooted from the web interface and have uploaded a previous working backup which has worked awhile ago once before when this happened. Since I use it as a streaming server I have not really dove into the specifics of the system so I am not sure how to fix the access problem.

The 1 other question I have is how to check the hard drives I have done it in the past once and do not remeber how to check them. Thank you all for your help!

photontech

Dabbler
Sorry I did not see this reply. Yes I did by restoring a saved config from last year. However, it just happened again. I used the old config again and it worked but not sure what is going on here. I was watching a show and could not use any controls on my remote so I rebooted my WD TV Live and then the login problem showed up again. If you have any ideas on what is causing this I would love to hear them and how to fix the logon problem without restoring a previous config. Also, can you please remind me how to do a check on the hard drives in the system. I did it once but do not remember how to check the disks. I do not mean SMART monitoring. Thank you for responding earlier.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Sorry I did not see this reply. Yes I did by restoring a saved config from last year. However, it just happened again. I used the old config again and it worked but not sure what is going on here. I was watching a show and could not use any controls on my remote so I rebooted my WD TV Live and then the login problem showed up again. If you have any ideas on what is causing this I would love to hear them and how to fix the logon problem without restoring a previous config. Also, can you please remind me how to do a check on the hard drives in the system. I did it once but do not remember how to check the disks. I do not mean SMART monitoring. Thank you for responding earlier.
Are you still on 9.2.1.9? In general, it would be a good idea to look into upgrading. What is the output of the following commands?
Code:
net groupmap list
net getlocalsid
pdbedit -Lv
testparm -s

photontech

Dabbler
Yes I am still on 9.2.1.9. What version do you suggest?
Forgive my ignorance. I tried the commands at the cursor on the NAS machine and it just went back to the 1-11 choice list on all. Where should I be using these commands? Please let me know. Thank you again.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yes I am still on 9.2.1.9. What version do you suggest?
Forgive my ignorance. I tried the commands at the cursor on the NAS machine and it just went back to the 1-11 choice list on all. Where should I be using these commands? Please let me know. Thank you again.
You use the shell in the webui or should or the shell in the console. Webui would be the best starting option.

photontech

Dabbler
So Now I have worst problems. Can not access FreeNAS shares in windows. When I do a diagnostic it says "the remote device won't accept the connection". So I can ping the box and I can get into the webgui no problem. This is also what happened last time months ago. You had asked if I fixed that problem back on Feb. 5. I set up a Long Self Test under SMART Testing last night. A few things happened. A HP 800GB Solid State drive came up with "error getting usable space and error getting total space". On it was saved TV series but I removed it from FreeNAS and the computer it self. The 2nd thing that happened after the test, I click on storage in the webgui and a 2TB SATA drive was missing from the storage list view but when I clicked on View Disks it was listed there. I tried to import it back into storage but it said Filesystem check failed. As you know I am using UFS . I have tried to upload the previous config multiple times and have disconnected the 2TB disk from the box but I still cannot access the shares in windows in any manner. Is there any way to fix the UFS file system such as in older windows you can use FixBoot and FixMBR commands? I am thinking I need to reload my USB drive holding the FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 OS and import the drives and hope that will work. Can I use UFS file system in any OS higher than 9.2.19? If not what happens to my data on my disks? I have already lost plenty of data. These disks worked fine until the Long Self Test. I just use this box to save and stream shows and movies with one drive holding some data. Thank you again for your help. I will wait for your reply. have a good evening.

AMD A6-5400K APU
8GB RAM
Multiple sized and brand SATA disks

photontech

Dabbler
So Last night I did a Long Self Test on all my drives. Now I cannot access any shares from windows. I can ping and access the box from the webgui. At first I had an 800 GB solid state drive say "error getting available space" and error getting total space" and 1 of my 2TB drives did not show up in the Storage list. When I clicked on View Drives in the webgui the 2TB drive was listed. When I tried to import the 2TB drive it said "file system check failed. I tried to use my save config to replace the current config and it did not work. So I took a new USB drive, loaded FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 on it and then tried to import the drives that were still available on the old OS on the the older USB and I am getting the "error getting available space" and error getting total space" when I try to import any of the drives in my box. Is there any way to recover these USF drives without wiping them? Besides the terabytes of shows and movies I do have a drive with important data on it with all my passwords. Please let me know if there is something that can be done. Thank you for your time and help.

photontech

Dabbler
I just put the old USB drive in booted up and everything was back working again. Is there any reasoning for what is going on with this system? Please let me know if you have any ideas please. Again does newer versions of FreeNas support UFS file systems? What happens to my data with an up grade?

photontech

Dabbler
List of commands and results:
1)net groupmap list
Environment LOGNAME is not defined. Trying anonymous access.
[root@freenas ~]#

2) net getlocalsid
Environment LOGNAME is not defined. Trying anonymous access.
SID for domain FREENAS is: S-1-5-21-3782618447-2416117715-2942745562
[root@freenas ~]#

3) pdbedit -Lv
[root@freenas ~]#

4) Shell
recycle:touch = yes
recycle:versions = yes
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:repository = .recycle/%U

[Television 2]
comment = TV Shows Backup
path = /mnt/WD500Blue
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
hide dot files = No
veto files = /.snap/.windows/.zfs/
vfs objects = recycle, streams_xattr, aio_pthread
zfsacl:acesort = dontcare
nfs4:chown = yes
nfs4:acedup = merge
nfs4:mode = special
recycle:subdir_mode = 0700
recycle:directory_mode = 0777
recycle:touch = yes
recycle:versions = yes
recycle:keeptree = yes
recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
This is all I could see to copy in the shell window for number 4.

As ridiculous as this sounds I believe the problems I was having had to do with a bad ethernet cable. I have replaced the cable with a brand new one and all is good. However, after resetting both ends of the old cable and using the original USB the system did return to normal before I replaced the cable. I put in a new cable because the system was running normally after resetting the old cable thinking that possibly could be the cause, a bad pair not sending data packets properly. So it could be the reason for the problems. Time will tell. I am up and running right now with no problems occurring. I still would like to know how upgrading to FreeNAS v11.2 will affect my current hard drive setup. Thank you for all the help!

A HP 800GB Solid State drive came up with "error getting usable space and error getting total space". On it was saved TV series but I removed it from FreeNAS and the computer it self.
When you say you removed it, what do you mean by that? What steps did you take? Was this drive a part of a multi-drive vdev?

I click on storage in the webgui and a 2TB SATA drive was missing from the storage list view but when I clicked on View Disks it was listed there. I tried to import it back into storage but it said Filesystem check failed. As you know I am using UFS . I have tried to upload the previous config multiple times and have disconnected the 2TB disk from the box but I still cannot access the shares in windows in any manner.
Does the storage pool list as DEGRADED?

So Last night I did a Long Self Test on all my drives. Now I cannot access any shares from windows.
From the sound of it I feel like access to your shares via Windows may not be the most important thing on your list right now. If I were you I would focus on confirming the integrity of your pools. In general you should be running short and long SMART self tests, as well as scrubs, on a regular basis.

Is there any way to recover these USF drives without wiping them? Besides the terabytes of shows and movies I do have a drive with important data on it with all my passwords. Please let me know if there is something that can be done. Thank you for your time and help.
Can you please describe your storage pools? How many drives are in them? Are you using RAIDZ1/2/3? FreeNAS, thanks to ZFS, is very good about keeping your data safe so long as you follow a few important rules. One very important rule is having viable backups.

Before you consider upgrading to newer versions of FreeNAS I recommend that you first back up your data if haven't already done so and then set up scheduled tests and scrubs of all of your data pools. You might want to check out some of the resources on the forums such as information about pools, vdevs, etc as well as information about SMART test and scrub scheduling. Once your data is backed up and your pools are healthy and disks are all reporting to be okay it would be a good time to upgrade your OS. And yes, you should be able to upgrade your OS and keep your storage pools, provided that you follow the proper upgrade steps.

Before you lose data though, back it up.