Set Password for Dataset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leary

Dabbler
I'm happy that I managed to set up my NAS so far.
I added a 8TB volume (2x4TB WD red) with a dataset and shared it for windows.
This works fine so far, I can find the folder via Desktop and Laptop, just how I wanted it.

However, there is one security problem I'm concerned about:
Every person who is connected to my network seems to have access to all my data.

In my University, I had to type in a username and password the first time I connected my University folder to my laptop and since then it connects automatically when I have access to their Wifi.

Is it possible to do that for my NAS aswell?
So noone can access my data until they mapped the volume and entered the username/password?

I already added a new user in the webinterface and I made this user the owner of the dataset, but I can still access it with every device without having to type in a password....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is totally possible to do what you want. You simply need to change the permissions of the share and/or files to deny the other people access.

Leary

Dabbler
m0nkey, I have a little question about your video:

before you open the drive at 7:30min you click on "connect using different credentials", so this windows appears where you have to put in the username and password (this is exactly the windows which I meant).
My problem is, that I'm not asked to type in a username/password, I can just open the drive and see all the files, although I assigned the dataset to a user and group.

This happens at my laptop and desktop pc.
I also tried it with an older laptop (well, about 1 year old) but this laptop doesent even find freenas, although I set the network to a private network, am in the same workgroup, enabled sharing, tried to type in the ip adress, even turned off the firewall... very weird since I can ping freenas but cant find it/open it /map a drive manually

maglin

Patron
You need to remove anonymous access and set a user and group to access the dataset. You might have to change ownership of already present files to be able to access them. I just create a new dataset with a new user as owner. Then when you access that share you will be asked for your user credentials.

It gets more complicated when you want to have multiple users access the same dataset.

It might be called guest access on the share. Not near my FreeNAS to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.