Help with setting up password protected shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnblanker

Explorer
Is there a video or something explaining how to set up a share with password protection?

I really don't understand the user account stuff. For sharing cifs shares with my windows pc, that is working great. But I want to share a volume that users need to put in a password to access.

Trying to access this on windows and it prompts me for my the username and password. Should it say my domain on that prompt? I tired putting in my user name of the user I created in freenas but no good.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. There isn't because it's not something that you can cookbook from other examples. It's important that you understand the theory so you can apply it for your exact situation. :/

As for if it should say my domain, that depends on your setup. That's something you should know based on your setup.. maybe and maybe not.

Dalance

Cadet
You could use individual folders for users and a main folder only accessed by the administrator/owner. Y ou could then transfer (shared) stuff to the shared file. Another thing you could do is allow only certain IP's to access any given folder. Just thoughts, I am a noob trying to learn something about this system myself on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.