SOLVED Multiples PC access

Neutraliz

Cadet
Hello all.
I don't think my problem is significant, but basically I created my first custom NAS successfully. I would like to access it with two different windows 10 systems.
The first is an ATX, which I have no problem to connect to the NAS. In revenche, the second is an ITX, and this one poses me problem. It tells me that either the identifier or the password is wrong. Which is incorrect, since I have no problem with the ATX with the same ID and password. Did I miss something? Is this a problem with permissions?
I specify that the NAS is connected to a network that is used as publicly by my parent's business. It MUST have a password to secure the data.

D

dlavigne

Have you tried:
Windows caches user account credentials with the authenticated share. This sometimes prevents connection to a share, even when the correct username and password are provided. Logging out of Windows clears the cache. The authentication dialog reappears the next time the user connects to an authenticated share.

Neutraliz

Cadet
Just tried, nope. :/ Btw, it still has my ID ( root ) in memory while I erase everything in the cache. So I do not really understand. Or I did not erase the good thing, it's very possible.
I still can't access my NAS from my ITX.

GBillR

Contributor
I think we need more details to give you an answer...

1. Are you talking about access to the web interface or access to a share?
2. If a share, what type of share?
3. Have you tried creating a different user to access the share from the other pc?
4. Did you select "Microsoft Account" when setting up your users?

I have seen windows shares behave problematic before when using the same user credentials across multiple machines. I've had the best success when creating a user on FreeNAS with the same login and password they use with the windows machine, and then selecting the "Microsoft Account" option when setting up the user on FreeNAS. Then, use windows security tab for the share (through the properties option on a windows machine) to setup access for the various windows users.

Windows Credential Manager is also where you would go to remove existing credentials saved on the windows machine. Easiest way to access it is to use the start button and type "credential manager".

Permissions can be a royal pain to get setup right, but there are plenty of resources that can walk you through it. Be sure to take a look here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/freenas-and-samba-smb-permissions-video.8/

The interface looks different, but it will get you moving in the right direction.

Neutraliz

Cadet
I just reset my windows 10 on my ITX : Same problem. Tried to disable my firewall : Didn't care. I tested with an another computer, no problem. My ATX : No problem as well.
I think it's more a parameter in the windows 10 parameter that's wrong with my ITX... There's nothing else how I can explain it... But what ?
1. I'm talking about access to a share.
2. Windows SMB
3. Well, i'm not very new to FreeNas so i'm not very familiar with it, so i'm not sure about creating a different user and configure it properly...
4. Yup.
I cleared completly the Windows Credential Manager, nothing changes, it still says me that either my ID or my password.
Also, idk why, but my NAS change of ip adress for no reason sometimes. It's a bit annoying.

Attachments

• chrome_2019-05-24_13-47-15.png
    chrome_2019-05-24_13-47-15.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 247

Neutraliz

Cadet
Just tried with my brother's pc. Never tried to connect it to my NAS, worked perfectly with absolutly no issues. It's really becomming frustrating... xD

GBillR

Contributor
I just reset my windows 10 on my ITX : Same problem. Tried to disable my firewall : Didn't care. I tested with an another computer, no problem. My ATX : No problem as well.
I think it's more a parameter in the windows 10 parameter that's wrong with my ITX... There's nothing else how I can explain it... But what ?
I agree that this is definitely an issue with Windows. Is this version different than your other machines? Can you provide a screen shot of the exact error? At this point, I would look to compare network properties of the adapters on each windows machine to see if there are any differences in configured protocols.

Since this is likely not a FreeNAS problem, you should also look in the Microsoft tech forums for help: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...edesc&searchTerm=nas+share+connection+FreeNAS

Also, idk why, but my NAS change of IP address for no reason sometimes. It's a bit annoying.
The IP of your NAS is handed out by your network DHCP server. If you want to configure a static IP address, you will need to log into that device and set it up to do so. You technically could do that in the FreeNAS GUI, but you risk the chance of a network problem if the DHCP server were to ever give out the same address to another client on the network.

Neutraliz

Cadet
After a FULL formating of the disk ( this time with total removal of any data - Don't worry nothing important, of course ) and re-install of windows :
SUCCESS !
My ITX is finally abale to connect to my NAS ! Yeaaah !
So ! Conclusions then : Windows 10 can seriously suck.
( Thx Neutraliz, everyone knows that )