No boot after 11.2 upgrade

lmannyr

Contributor
First I upgraded to the latest 11.1 (U6?) and it booted just fine into FN. Then noticed 11.2 stable was available and upgraded via the same GUI and it booted into "getty repeating too quickly on /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30 secs"

Rebooted and watched FN shut itself down syncing, etc... On the next reboot I got the screen shot below. Tried rebooting several times with no change. ALL WAS RUNNING FINE until the 11.2 upgrade.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.23.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.23.34 PM.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 426

lmannyr

Contributor
is there a way to pull the config file from the old usb boot stick before I try to install the 11.1u6?

lmannyr

Contributor
I removed the 2 original USBs that were working prior to the upgrade for safe keeping to hopefully recover the config file if it is saved there.

Next, I installed 11.1U6 into a different USB and have FN up and running now. Pool is also up without any loss of data. Where can I find the config file from prior to the upgrade? Where does FN save/backup the config file?

Skro

Contributor
is there a way to pull the config file from the old usb boot stick before I try to install the 11.1u6

Hopefully I am wrong and one of the gurus can correct me, but I believe you have to save the config before you update by going to System > General tab > Save Config button. To be clear, I don't believe there is a way to pull it from your previous boot drive after it is in a state where it won't boot.

Last edited:

lmannyr

Contributor
After reading a bit more online, i think i figured where the config file is back-up in the pool. I believe its /var/db/system/config*

I have 4 config* directories which are all empty when using "ls" in the mac terminal. Is this the correct place to look?

SynbiosVyse

Dabbler
I removed the 2 original USBs that were working prior to the upgrade for safe keeping to hopefully recover the config file if it is saved there.

Next, I installed 11.1U6 into a different USB and have FN up and running now. Pool is also up without any loss of data. Where can I find the config file from prior to the upgrade? Where does FN save/backup the config file?

Consider yourself lucky. I don't know if this bug is related but I also had the same error as you and after I re-installed with 11.2 media 99% of my data was deleted off the zpool. I also tried reverting back to 11.1 U6 and was never able to get the zpool back to its original state before the upgrade.

lmannyr

Contributor
I found the config file in the original boot USB sticks that I saved after the failed upgrade. It was under /data in USB called FreeNAS*.db

Skro

Contributor
:eek: Congratulations! I am surprised that worked and will make a note of it for future reference. Was your new system able to successfully import it?

lmannyr

Contributor
:eek: Congratulations! I am surprised that worked and will make a note of it for future reference. Was your new system able to successfully import it?

Booted my desktop into FreeBSD. Inserted the original boot USBs, mounted them, copied the config file to another USB formatted FAT32.

Rebooted desktop back into OSX and uploaded config file thru FN GUI.

ikke

Contributor
I also had to go through the same exercise to find configs. As I'm running linux everywhere else, I got recent enough ZFS by installing https://zfsonlinux.org/ . Then you can change the mountpoint of usb stick, and mount freenas-boot/RELEASE.... directories to linux, and find the config under /data. Just FYI for anyone else struggling with these upgrade issues.

Here are some reference commands:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/root
sudo zpool import -o altroot=/mnt/root/ freenas-boot
sudo zfs mount freenas-boot/ROOT/11.2-RELEASE
sudo cp -r /mnt/root/data Downloads/freeknas-data-11.2-U0

Last edited: