Newbie FreeNAS recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

Just to let you know Im very new to the scene, well new to the DIY NAS scene. Iv had a Zyxel NSA 320 for the last 6 months and its been ok but painfully slow. Im not that keen on the configs and GUI so iv decided to invest a bit more and get something half decent. I have of course done some research but Im hoping that someone could help me with suggestions of the remaining components I need to buy.
Im after a NAS that I can stream video and music and will be used for backups.

So far I have bought the following:

Coolermaster Elite 130 Case
MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 AMD FM2 mobo
4 x WD Caviar Green 2TB hdd

Planning to go RAID 10

Would be great if someone could offer suggestions for:
CPU
PSU
RAM

Please note am on a bit of a budget.

Thanks

Much appreciated

Windreaper

Dabbler
Your motherboard does not support ECC memory. I assume you know the risks. Make sure to run multiple passes of memtest86+ to make sure the RAM is good. Since you're on a budget you could start with one 8GB DIMM. I personally like Kingston ValueRAM for the reliability and good compatibility. Also, you might want to check your hardware is actually supported by FreeNAS (FreeBSD).

CPU, the cheapest A4 you can find should be more than enough for simple media streaming.

PSU, the cheapest/lowest wattage ATX model from a reputable brand (Seasonic, Antec, Corsair etc.) will do.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
James,

Give our stickies a read. That's all the info you need to know what hardware to buy. What we don't do is provide ready-made builds for people. We expect people to do their own homework FIRST and use the forums second.

Thanks.

diedrichg

Wizard
This new builder (link below) has a fantastic plan and parts lineup. The processor is $75 and it's the perfect starter server configuration. The processor is ECC RAM compatible and it can be switched out for a Xeon later. And the RAM can be easily increased later with the option to max out at 32GB. I wish I would have started out with a system like this when I started. Oh, fwiw, there is a Haswell LGA 1150 version of this processor and mobo.

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/112953

Status
Not open for further replies.